TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

my 401 ?where did i go wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my 401 ?where did i go wrong
    Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 5:10pm
Cryim trying to figure out where i went wrong?my 401 has no power stab the throttle and run up to 5 grand just seems like it doesnt want to go,out of gear stab it and will go to 6500.put a holly 750 vac,secondary on it no change from the edelbrock avs.i gasket matched intake and exhaust,smoothed intake runners on airgap,removed cast flaws on heads.new cam and lifters,roller tip rockers,main rod and cam bearings,rings,timing chain,distributor,cam and dist.gear,valley oil line and external line to the cam,dist gear.mew balancer and flexplate.over 3 grand spent.is it possible the porting i did is the cause.i kept the porting minimal,first time attempt,left the floor alone,should i rough the walls on intake?made them pretty smooth.im at a loss,it ran pretty good before this,it would smoke 35 inch tires all day.wont even break loose let alone burn them.pcv valve also sucking oil,waiting for a catch can and 670 truck avenger carb.any suggestions?thanks
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 5:34pm
you may have put the dist gear on 180 off. It will change the phase timing of the dist.may have to remove pin and turn it 180 degrees. if I am wrong on this, feel free to tell me. I think the rotor points to a dot on the gear. I will look tonight when I get home
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 5:39pm
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 8:23pm
i didnt  do the work,from my experience,gear is on right.machine shop failed,now im fixing the lack of attention to detail.pcv issue is still happening,shop owner told me to try a moroso pcv grommet,didnt work,more oil in carb.un hooked it,plugged carb fitting,secondaries are not opening,air screws all the way in and starts to stutter?still not running right.could it be a manifold leak? i need to get this fixed,i thank you for any tips.advice,knowledge.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 8:24pm
Best way I know to spin a bearing, stab the throttle and run it up to 6500 with no load on the engine.

401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 5:42am
Chances are you may need to look at the cam timing. if you missed a tooth it will act just like you are telling us. That's my story and i'm stickin to it!
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 5:51am
Your secondaries are not opening? That needs to be fixed for sure. 
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 5:56am
On the oil in PCV, are you sure you have metal pan on bottom of intake?????  Are you using a stel shim valley pan gasket???  Both of them keep the oil out of the PCV...
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 6:13am
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

Your secondaries are not opening? That needs to be fixed for sure. 

And make sure the carb linkage has the carb at FULL OPEN position when gas pedal hits the floor.
odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 8:57am
Ouchthey didnt install the valley pan gasket,just the edelbrock gaskets,he told me the valley oil line wont clear the valley pan,i made them send me the gaskets,im done with them ,ill do it myself.and see if they actually installed it,when i pulled timing cover off the first go around,timing marks were right on,he said he degreed the cam and was within spec,i switched the advance springs and it actually spun the tires,still needs work,pcv issue,trying the reverse flow today,hope it works,thanks for the advice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic