TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 304 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 10:34pm
I have some cheap 1/58 headers, I guess I should start working on them too. I have heard they suk

Any truth to that?
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 10:55pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2014 at 11:28am
Send me a set
Im game.   
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2014 at 6:08pm
Well,
I reached the goal today?
A simple pocket ported small valve head based on a 086-1 casting that moved 250 cfm on the intake at .600
I did not flow higher for obvious reasons. The motor will never have that much cam.

At .500 it was moving 235 cfm
At .400 224
At .350. 217
At .300 199
At .100 70

I broke the plenum on the bench after the intake, so I won't have numbers for the exhaust.
But it will improve too

Now it's time to install these heads and let this this eat.   I'll know soon if a pocket ported, if you wanna call it that, head will wake a little 304 up enough for me.
I'm even thinking of this same head on a 401. Since it won't
See more than the .600 lift either it should have a lot more airspeed. Making it somewhat snappier
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2014 at 7:42pm
I like the sound of that!  Keep us posted how it works out!

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2014 at 10:47pm
Got both head assembled today after cleaning them good from all the work,
The valve drops are all within .01 to.03 of each other and the tip heights are right on too.
Lapped out good and I have a good positive seal on rhe head now.

The head was decked .025 also. That way it somewhat matches my thinker head gasket I have to use. The stock one was about .020. These are pushing .045

So I should be close. Once I get the heads on her I am ordering pushrods as long as the ones I have odd not work. I have numerous set. A think my 6.750 pushrods is going to work. That's crunching my numbers in my head still though.

I will tomorrow work out the exhaust port on the headers. Going to get them to be bout as right as they can he. And if that doesn't make me happy ill try the 173/4 pipes or make a set myself on a step design.

I am also for a 409 inch amc motor.
I will still with smaller valves. I am thinking a 2.0 inch on the intake would do it
Then concentrate of airspeed sand feed air that way. The motor like that should really be fun. Especially for a car that turns a

I'm more into losing weight too. And my final mods during assembly was to use the talthentotrim off material on the ls9 retainers.
So there now sitting at 8grams dash. Down from eleven . So now the valvetrain weight on project 304 has a weight savings of 5.60 ounces. That over a quarter point just in valve train. Meaning I can run less seat pressure now and still control the valve. Any power gains would come from friction at losses
And the motor should rev much quicker.

I could also at this point toss the ls1 rocker arms onto her.
Like amc john does here on the forums. Not sure if he has a project up and running yet but it's doable. And I have the parts.

That would put lift up from 477/485 to around a .505 lift and a .515 exhaust lift.
Right in the meat of the curve.

I am going to pull the headers out tonight and working the flanges.   I'll clean up the windows and some transition if I can. Just to help. I am thinking about coating them too. Or wrapping it in wrap.

I have the oil baffle made for underside of intake. It is bolted on her now too
Carb is pre jetted for what I think it will need. One it's running I'll check it out on af and bring that in that start tweaking timing events. How much how fast Nd how soon.

If needed I can switch to e85. But that is not the plan yet

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 4:07pm
heads are finished.  i have the ls9 chevy spring set up, the lt4 valve cut and installed, guides replaced and honed also. the heads should be bolted onto the motor this evening and then the intake.  i will measure for the right length pushrod at the same time.
i think i have the right set already here in the parts bin.

i am hoping to have it fired on saturday evening. open header still as i will need to install some sort of exhaust.  i have thosse lx tailpipes and will need to check hom they fit.

cross your fingers for the little motor that could...

steve
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 4:40pm
+ Crossed fingers.

Steve
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 9:21pm
Got the heads on her tonight. Took me a while but I managed.
I wanted to get at least one on so I could measure the pushrods length, even though in my old age I still was able to take an educated guess at what length I would need.

The length I came up with was actually right, and in fact gives me just enough preload that I would say is perfect.
The length came out to be a plus .050 over the stock length.

So at this point I'm going to call in some help from some forum members who have volunteered to swing by and help finish this project soon so air can drive it before my next surgeries come down.

I am hoping to hear it run on saturday
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 10:16pm

HugClap

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic