TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 258 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 258 build
    Posted: May/13/2018 at 3:44pm
Got the 258 i pulled from the Matador.
Just bought a 75 Amc Hornet and would love to build a funn 258 for it.

The plan is 3 speed manual and i got the T 15 trans and a Hurst shifter for it.

Want a little higher comp, cam and carb recomendations
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 9:54pm
Offy dual plane intake, 400-500 cfm carb of choice (the 500cfm Eddy/Carter AFB seems to do well), Eagle exhaust manifold for simplicity, Isky/Comp/Lunati all make great cam choices. Sticking to the Isky line and Comp's High Energy line means your stock valvetrain should be fine (under .500" lift). I have a Comp 260H in one 232 and the smallest Lunati in another 232. The Comp has a better exhaust sound. So far I've not had any issues with the Lunati on stock valve springs. There are times when I wish I had gotten Lunati's second cam (213/220 @ .050"), but the one I chose works great.
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

Offy dual plane intake, 400-500 cfm carb of choice (the 500cfm Eddy/Carter AFB seems to do well), Eagle exhaust manifold for simplicity, Isky/Comp/Lunati all make great cam choices. Sticking to the Isky line and Comp's High Energy line means your stock valvetrain should be fine (under .500" lift). I have a Comp 260H in one 232 and the smallest Lunati in another 232. The Comp has a better exhaust sound. So far I've not had any issues with the Lunati on stock valve springs. There are times when I wish I had gotten Lunati's second cam (213/220 @ .050"), but the one I chose works great.

Thanx. This will be my second engine build. My first was the 360 i have in the Matador. It's a learning curve

I think a 3 speed Hornet will be a fun ride
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 12:40am
nice! sounds like a fun project.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 3:13am
Won a offy dual intake on ebay ($150), found a kit with cam, lifters, springs and timing kit on ebay.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 6:16am
I was snoring on this idea until you mentioned the T-15. Kinda stuck with it. Thank God you're not stuck with the Carter carb. It really doesn't take much to wake an old 258. New cam and lifters, some new valve cover and oil pan gaskets and an adjustable timing gear. I retard mine 2º but you might choose to add 2º or something. Doesn't seem to make much difference since it mainly changes the RPM ceiling and these engines live at lower RPMs but anything is better than that crappy nylon timing gear. Good riddance. If you have access to other timing covers, pay attention to the one you have and don't mix it up. Offy intake is a bit overkill. Personally I would just stick with the Motorcraft adapt. Eagle exhaust should work fine. The T-15 is great but I've gotta wonder what you'll be using for a clutch assembly.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:35am
I love my 500 Edelbrock on my 232. Plan on using one on my upcoming 258 build along with an Isky cam.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:50am
A good Motorcraft 2100 2V is a great choice, but I wouldn't call the Offy DP and a 390-500 cfm 4V overkill. The 390 works well but a 450-500 is better for power. I ran a 390 in a J-10 w/258 and stock cam and there were times I wished I had a little more carb, though not often. A better cam may have remedied the situation, may have made it obvious I needed a bit more carb....

The good thing is you can get great gas mileage and still have power when needed. Under normal driving I'd get 20 mpg (average, not just highway) with the J-10 -- four speed manual with 2.78 gears (yeas 2.78 in an 83 FSJ! Fourth was just about like OD, first you had to slip the clutch a bit to take off even without a load...). Had to keep speed down to 60-65 though. Made a quick two hour dash to another city once, had the thing cruising at 75-80 half the time!! Got 10 mpg in the 4V all the time...
Frank Swygert
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The 390 works well but a 450-500 is better for power. I ran a 390 in a J-10 w/258 and stock cam and there were times I wished I had a little more carb, though not often. A better cam may have remedied the situation, may have made it obvious I needed a bit more carb....
The cam is the first big and possibly the biggest changer in a new AMC. These engines just weren't optioned very well from the assembly line: Poor valve lift(hovering around .4"), low live times, good overlap and the lowest ranges I've ever seen on any cams. I don't like single pattern options and try to avoid extreme lift due to remachining burdens but Crane and Lunati know how to really wake these inline engines and have options to make it easy. Next choice would be iSky. Of course, I don't like the 258 in particular but I'm not going to spend a bunch of time explaining why. The one here is extremely weird and that has more than enough character for a Hornet.
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Fourth was just about like OD, first you had to slip the clutch a bit to take off even without a load...). Had to keep speed down to 60-65 though. Made a quick two hour dash to another city once, had the thing cruising at 75-80 half the time!! Got 10 mpg in the 4V all the time...
2.78 gearing doesn't belong in a FSJ. You must have had an auto in it at some point. O_o

I'm going to be (re)learning this gearing lesson the hard way soon because I see no gearing difference between the 3spd auto and 5spd manual in the fact that the first three gears seem more contiguous in the manual. Further, it behaves like an extremely high extension for high speed low engine RPM cruising. So to me, 3rd gear feels like 4th(direct) in my oversized Ford pickup. 4th feels like OD and 5th is like OD2. Reversing, crawling(and hill climbing!), towing and any other low speed action suffers without reduction. There is simply no way around this. The LP 3.54 sets don't exist for these diffs and I'm not ready to tear into a NP229 before this car is roadworthy for the first time in 5 years.

The strange thing is that it likes 1st gear but dies in reverse without a LOT of throttle feathering.The difference between 4.03x2.72 and 3.76x2.72 isn't a whole lot but it seems to be enough to make that much difference in this vehicle. It will probably behave better with the front axle bolted up and everything but just trying to imagine this scenario in a FSJ or Hornet is real scary. Imagine encountering a hill you can't climb because 1st gear and the diff ratio aren't low enough to get started.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

The T-15 is great but I've gotta wonder what you'll be using for a clutch assembly.

I have not looked at that yet
Just know i want a manual car and i have the T 15 that i got with the 290 i bought
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic