TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 1967 AMC Marlin Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 5:54am
The valve control Bowden cable is in the engine compartment and enters a slot on the side of the valve housing. There should be a little slide in piece that closes off the gap once the cable is installed. The cable is connected to the TEMP slider inside. The intake manifold nipple is connected to the side fitting on the valve, the straight fitting connects to the heater core upper pipe using a molded hose that's available from the AMC vendors. The heater core lower pipe connects to a return hose, that if you have the stock carb, is routed to a retaining bracket on the automatic choke housing. From the choke it curves back down and connects to the water pump nipple.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2016 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Your "Theory of Operation" is wrong.

Won't be the last time, pretty sure. LOL

Edited by 67 Marlin - Feb/01/2020 at 4:27pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2016 at 7:58pm
Upgraded the rear stabilizer bar's hardware and bonus resolved another deal. The passenger-side of the car was an inch lower (measured at the rear wheel arch) than the driver side. The difference was noticeable when viewing the car from the rear; this bugged me because the car is rock solid and I couldn't figure out why. Thought maybe a spring wasn't seated right but nothing looked out of whack. Started to wonder if the Marlin's been like this since it left the factory.

While reinstalling the stabilizer bar, I noticed the driver-side lower control arm was installed backwards; the stabilizer bar mounting holes were about 1.5 inches fore of those on the passenger side. Then noticed the stabilizer bar wasn't straight across from driver to passenger side. Turned it around and we're even from port to starboard. Just like downtown!

The rear of the car has upgraded suspension stuff just like the front. The previous owner replaced the rear springs, shocks, and upper and lower control arm bushings, and reinforced (boxed) the upper and lower control arms with 1/4-inch steel plates. Compared to all the older cars I've owned, this thing handles like autocross. More important than the performance, there's no oversteer like I've experienced with other cars with big rear stabilizer bars.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 8:47pm
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 12:19am
AMC = "Persevere, overcome, adapt" Good job
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 6:31am
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

AMC = "Persevere, overcome, adapt" Good job
And here I was thinking that it was "All My Cash". LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
REBEL X View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2016 at 8:22pm
great looking Marlin. I love the 67s the best.
67 Rebel SST 343 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel 550 232 AT conv
68 Rebel SST 343 4 SP conv
68 Rebel SST 401 727 HT
70 Rebel SST 360 AT Wgn
70 Rebel SST 304 AT HT
70 Rebel Machine 390 AT
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2016 at 4:32pm
Spring is here early this year and I can't wait to put new tires and the Rally wheels I bought last summer on the Marlin (the ones I bought before I found the ones that are on the car now in a pawn shop). Ordered Cooper Cobra Radial GTs and dropped off the wheels for blasting and powder coating. The wheels will be one color, Dark Anthracite in semi-gloss. The 15x7s on the back will have 245/60 tires. The 14x6s on the front will have 215/70s.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 8:51pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 7:45pm

Edited by 67 Marlin - Feb/01/2020 at 4:42pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2016 at 4:53pm
I really like the unicolor look on the 1970s AMC Rally wheels! New powder coating and rubber on the Marlin but a few less things, too. The Marlin is being de-chromed. Not all, but a lot of it. The lower chrome moldings, the trim on top, and the wheel arch moldings are gone. I think chrome looks awesome on 1950s cars but not as much on a sporty 1960s fastback coke bottle machine like this. I like what I see (and don't see).

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 9:08pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 7:01pm
Check out the four sets of before and after photos below. The Marlin's body is clean as heck; I spent a long time looking for a super clean one until I found it in the Pacific Northwest. Now it's a bit prettier and in a cool tiger shark primer coat.

#1 - The "bullet holes" from a crease pulling attempt on the passenger-side quarter panel reminded me of the opening credits of The A-Team.

#2 - The passenger door is free of a crease, a couple dents, and a couple more bullet holes.

#3 - A smaller crease on the driver door, some oxidation, and a few more dings removed.

#4 - The driver-side rear corner. I'll need to do a little touch up around the tail light housing but not until I'm ready to install the NOS one that came with the car. Also have NOS tail light lenses and grates.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/30/2023 at 9:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
  Share Topic