TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 1967 Marlin Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 1967 Marlin Thread
    Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 11:58pm

Greetings AMColleagues - Welcome to my Marlin thread and thank you for your interest! Hug

The first time I saw a 1967 Marlin was in 2007 when I was driving across the country and saw one at a gas station. Can't remember exactly where, but I think northern Illinois. It was the coolest looking car I'd ever seen. I've always thought 1967 was the best model year for American automobiles - just about everything looks good to me, but nothing as cool as this!

The Marlin in early 2015.

I used the advanced search function on Google every month or so and window-shopped. Found one with a six-cylinder here and a rusty one there, but I wanted a Marlin with no rust and that had all the goodies. Eight years later...found one in the ideal place to find a classic car, the Pacific Northwest. Some dough and a car carrier ride to my garage, and it was home.

This particular Marlin was ordered with the high-compression 343 with AFB carb, floor-mounted shifter, Twin Grip differential, buckets seats, and nice interior.

A couple years later. Taking my time on my ride. Cool

I'm the third owner. The original owner passed away in 1987. His father kept the Marlin in his garage until 2003, when the second owner convinced him to sell it. But, the Marlin spent those years waiting to see the road again; it was driven only about 100 miles in all that time. As you'll see through this thread, things picked up a bit in 2015.

The old peace sticker that's still on the passenger visor. Maybe the Marlin made the trip from Seattle down to the Summer of Love in 1967?

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/06/2019 at 1:27pm
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 12:01am
Approve "Photos?"....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 12:19am

I received my Marlin on the first day of Spring 2015. But, it wasn't a perfect start.

Moving the car off the trailer was a problem. The motor would stop running as soon as it fired up. After a while, the motor kept running, but would die as soon as the gas pedal was touched. Feathering the gas and letting it idle for 10 minutes gave it enough confidence to leave the trailer. But, the ancient Sears Polyglass tires had other plans. They were deflated and buckling and squashing on the trailer deck; I thought they were going to come off the rims. All this extra "traction" was causing the motor to bog and die out. Fortunately, the tires held air when we filled them, and we got it off the trailer and into the garage.

I didn't have time to match stuff up to the VIN number and verify everything, but enough time to inspect the body, the main reason I bought the car. I've done lots of rust repair, especially to death traps I owned in college. I spent a long time looking for a Marlin with a good body to go along with the performance goodies. The photos I received showed a straight car, and what my eyeballs saw made me feel happy. The driver-side tail light housing had a crack (the car came with an NOS one to replace it) and the passenger door had a crease in it (as I knew from the photos), but otherwise the body was fantastic. I was thrilled! I can find a replacement motor if need be, but where can I find good quarter panels and a trunk floor for a '67 Marlin?

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/05/2019 at 2:21pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 12:28am

My first Marlin project went down a couple weeks ago. I wanted to verify things a little more in depth and test drive it for the first time. I crawled under and saw 343 stamped on the block. And, lots of new steering and suspension parts. The Borg Warner transmission is clean as a whistle and the lines look just new. Back on top, the AFB carburetor number checks out with the 1967 TSM. Looked under the rest of the car and there was no rust or even scale down there. I also noticed the front wheels are 14-inch 8-slot rally wheels.

I took it for it's first test drive, but starting was a problem again. It died the first three times, but on the fourth I feathered the gas for a minute until the idle stabilized. The lifters made a bit of noise at first, too, but quieted down after a couple minutes. It died a few more times while backing it out of the garage. I let it idle for 10 minutes while I took photos.

I drove into town to get gas in the tank, a two-mile round trip. I put 10 gallons of premium into the tank along with Torco octane additive, a little lead, and of course some Marvel Mystery Oil. I measured for 95 octane - that should be enough! The car shifts through the gears well, there's no body roll, and no clunks or ominous noises. But, it definitely needs a tune-up, and most likely a carb rebuild. I'll deal with that later.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/05/2019 at 2:33pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 6:50am
You may find that the choke is stuck which would explain the cold start difficulties you had starting it and keeping it running. Make sure the choke plate moves freely and snap closed when the throttle is opened a bit.
Good luck on your project and the car looks really good in that color combo.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:10am
What a great looking car and color combo that will sure turn some heads real nice !!

Edited by ArnieG - Apr/25/2015 at 9:17am
Cape Cod, MA.
1970 AMX frost white/shadow mask
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:53am
That's the car I always wanted, you lucky guy......very nice. 

It's a shame they quit making them.

Ron
'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-'69 & '70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
greenamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 10:01am
Wow that's a real clean car. I like it looking forward for when it's finished.
1971 AMX javelin 401
1966 Rambler American rouge
1966 Rambler American 360 4 speed
1974 Amc gremlin x factory 304 v8
1977 Jeep J20
1981 Jeep J10
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:15am
Thank you for the comments. Guess I'm not the only person who thinks 1967 Marlins look cool. I'm not a fan of the two-tone paint, though, so all-red might be in the Marlin's future.

Organized the $7K pile of receipts that came with the car and went through the stuff that was in boxes; this is my style of accounting! The big ticket items were the transmission rebuild, SMS upholstery (door panels and fabric and vinyl for the bucket seats), lots of suspension work (rubber and joints up front, new springs and shocks in the back, reinforced rear control arms, bushings, and an Addco rear stabilizer bar), and a bunch of other receipts for things like getting the car up and running back in 2003 from sitting for 16 years, carb rebuild, exhaust system, and various switches and other parts that weren't intended to last half a century.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/06/2019 at 1:28pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:17am
Last Saturday was probably the Marlin's busiest driving day since 1987.

To see if I could get it to run any better before I could start test-driving missions, I cinched up the vacuum lines and tried to replace the PCV valve. I couldn't get the PCV valve out, so I pulled with a vice grip and then banged on it like a caveman trying to dislodge it. It still wouldn't come out, so I gave up and started the car. When I turned the key, the motor immediately idled somewhat smoothly; I didn't have to baby the gas pedal or let it warm up to put it in gear without dying. Banging on the PCV valve must have freed it up.

I drove to the tire place and swapped some decent rubber for the horrible back tires. I also asked them to inspect everything underneath the car, and they said nothing needed to be replaced.

I drove around a few miles with my improved back tires and felt happy about not needing to worry about them blowing apart. Then, my old neighbor called and said to bring the Marlin over so he could look at it, so we drove around a little. Then, that night someone else insisted I drive it over, and by the end of the day a dozen people looked at it and I put about 50 miles on it. That was a pretty good day.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/06/2019 at 1:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic