TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Multiple light issues with a '63 Rambler Classic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Multiple light issues with a '63 Rambler Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 5:51am
With the left or right signal light indicator on in the instrument panel, walk around the car and see how many lights are on. Any of the two corners, left or right, that does not have a light on, is where your problem is most likely to be.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 7:06am
One nit: the front and rear bumpers are shaped the same but the holes for the bumper brace bolts are not the same. They are not interchangeable. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 8:08am
I didn't know that.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 8:44am
I tested the voltage regulator and I only got just over 12 volts on the red and orange and no volts on the green. I tested another regulator that came in the trunk and only the red is getting 12 volts now, last night when I tested that same regulator the red was getting about 10 and the green was getting .9. I'm going to get a new voltage regulator and see where that leaves me. Could it also be the generator? The Gen light is on while in drive and reverse by the way. As for the testing with the flasher, I'll do that when I get home. Well all 4 of the lights for the indicator come on when I pull the light nob out by 1 notch so it's not like they don't get power. When I try to put a turn signal on they don't come on.

Edited by Mostru - Mar/19/2017 at 9:26am
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 3:08pm
If you want to keep your car original, along with the new regulator, I would have the generator gone over for commutator clean up, new brushes and bushings too maybe. By 64 they had gone to an alternator. There is also the option of changing it over to a newer alternator with an internal regulator. With the car running battery voltage should be about 14 to 14 1/2. Battery full with car not running should be 12.6.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 7:58pm
What should the voltage on the voltage regulator be at? With the new regulator I got I am getting 12.4 on the red and the orange and green are getting 1.2 only.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 8:01pm
I might just get the generator checked out like you said and see how things go after that. I'm not sure why but now my taillights won't even work when they did before.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 8:50pm
There are others here that know a lot more about generators than me.

With your lighting problems maybe find someone local who can coach you in finding what's wrong. Lot's of old timers still around would be happy to give you a hand.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 9:07pm
Alright thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I actually have my father working on the car with me, he has plenty of experience and knows his way around a car, inside and out. I'm just going to take the car in to my fathers mechanic as there are other things on the car I would like to be looked at.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 6:46am
When you get the TSM there will be test procedures for the regulator. I don't recall what the voltage should be on the other posts, but the battery post is giving battery voltage (red - 12.4V). You might have a bad turn signal switch -- the switch under the steering wheel in the column. The turn signals use the second filament in the bulbs, so you can get park/running lights without turn signals. Check the front bulbs. If you are getting brake lights those same filaments are used for turn signals, so the rears will be good. If the fuse is good (there is a tiny fuse panel on the driver's side -- stuffed under where it's hard to see!) and you've changed the flasher then the switch is probably bad.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic