TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Multiple light issues with a '63 Rambler Classic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Multiple light issues with a '63 Rambler Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple light issues with a '63 Rambler Classic
    Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 5:56pm
I just purchased a 1963 Rambler Classic 660, my first AMC as well as my first car.

The brake lights, indicators, and reverse lights do not work on my car. It is not the bulbs since the headlights and taillights for night driving turn on. The 4 indicator lights turn on when I pull the light nob out just 1 notch. The indicator lights do not flash though, they are constantly on. I am not sure if they are supposed to be hazards and flashing, any help there? The reverse lights do not turn on as well. Also I'm unsure if the master cylinder on the car is what came with a '63, any help on that as well? Under the dash everything seems to be connected except for an orange wire with a sleeve on it and a black wire, nothing changes when I connect them. So the problems are no brake lights, no turn signals, and no reverse lights.

These are images of the Master Cylinder and under the dash.
http://imgur.com/a/wcDvH
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 6:09pm
My first recommendation is to get a service manual.  The wiring diagram in the manual will help you immensely if you use it.   Second, clean all of the body grounds.   You can check the function of the brake light switch by connecting the green wire to ground.  If the brake lights work in that case and not when you step on the brake pedal the switch is bad.  Ron Francis wiring sells probably the best pressure switch for this application and it stands up even if you switch to Dot 5 brake fluid.  The tail lights ground through the body so make sure the fixture screws go into clean metal.  If there is still intermittent performance, you might connect a separate ground wire to each fixture.  I have had to do this on a couple of AMCs.  There is a body ground on the engine side of the firewall with three or four black wires (grounds) connected to it.  Clean that connection.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 6:18pm
Is your master cylinder single pot or two? On my 64 with dual I think the brake pressure switch is under the cylinder and has a wire attached. I had to change that once. A dual cylinder for a 64 is common to many other Ramblers.

I would change the flasher. That was also a casualty on mine after sitting for a few years.

It also sounds like you might need a new headlight switch. They are available and not expensive.

The back up light wires probably come out at the top of the driver's side door post. Brown? 9 amp fuse? Manual or auto? If auto the switch is set into the bottom of the steering column. Be careful with that switch because they are rare as hens teeth and very expensive. Manual I don't know, as mine did not originally come with B/U lights.

I would pull, test and reset the fuses; pull the bulbs and put them back in the sockets making sure the contacts are good; and redo the grounds at the sockets.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 6:56pm
I have a service manual on the way and I already have a wiring diagram. I've been studying it and tracing the wires and everything seems to be connected where it needs to be except for the 2 wires under the dash, an orange one and I believe the other was black, I'd have to check again. I took another look at the brake pedal and I haven't even noticed a wire connecting to it. I'm going to take another look and actually make sure everything under the dash is connected where it needs to be. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 7:44pm
The brake light switch is on the bottom of the master cylinder under the hood if it is wired as from the factory. Orange wires are normally instrument or clock lights controlled by the rheostat in the headlight switch. If you do no have a clock that wire will hang loose. Black wires are normally grounds so it might be advisable to trace that wire and see what it would ground.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 7:49pm
The brake switch on a '63 Classic is attached under the master cylinder and has two wires on it.  It is NOT on the brake pedal.  An unattached orange wire is usually for a lighting option that your car may not have like courtesy lights or glove box light.  Black wires are usually ground wires. 
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 9:04pm
Dual, yeah that's where it is on mine. I'm going to order a new one in the morning and replace it, see if that helps with anything. 

Already changed the flasher twice, no change. 

My headlights work, low beams as well as high so no issues there. 

Mine is auto, so is the switch on the bottom of the steering column is for the reverse lights or for the turn signals? I have 2 brown wires and 2 green wires going to it (Order - Brown Green Brown Green), I hope the switch isn't broken now that you mention they are rare and expensive. I'm assuming back up lights didn't come on manuals? Or were they an option?

I replaced the longer fuse on the fuse box and a fuse that was in enclosed in a black cover (Had to spin to open). Any idea what that is for?

Edited by Mostru - Mar/18/2017 at 9:24pm
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 9:10pm
I had noticed it before and figured that was for the brake lights but I guess my mind was fuzzy at the time being. I will be ordering a new stop light switch to see if that fixes the issue. Alright well I have a clock that does not work and it's a bit hard to get back there and look around because of the ac unit. I did notice a orange wire going into the clock though, just one. Is that all that should be connected to it? The orange wire I was talking about was directly under the driver side dash, any idea what that should be connected to or might it just be an option I don't have? I noticed a hole in the glove box, I am thinking it would be for a light and maybe that is what the orange wire is for? As for the unconnected black wire under the driver side dash, I'll take your advice and trace it. 
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 3:14am
The two brown wires are for the backup lights.  The other two wires are your neutral safety switch.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 5:34am
I seem to remember an orange and maybe a black wire going nowhere as you describe. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you could test the NSS by disconnecting the battery and using an ohmmeter across the terminals, with the shift lever in the appropriate positions.

With the flasher maybe you could check or put a full 12 V to the supply side to see if they work. That would at least show if your problem is down stream or upstream of the flasher. I think as others have suggested you still have a grounding issue down at the light sockets. Maybe the bumper needs better grounding, if that could be an issue I don't know. Also check that you have 12 V at the lights. Brake lights and signal lights share the same element on the 1157 bulb. Park lights and tail lights use the other element. The back up lights in the bumper use a single element (1156?) bulb. FYI front and back bumpers are the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic