TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Multi carb 232/258

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxiBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2020 at 1:12pm
Farna, I really like the idea of making the other two carbs act as mechanical secondaries. It also solves the problem of converting them all to electric chokes. Only the center one should have to be choked. I want to do this with no aftermarket manifolds or performance carbs. I want it to look like a 20 year old saw something in a hot rod magazine in the 50s and went out into his uncles junkyard and tried to make what he saw. I know I can buy a weber cross flow setup with a Clifford manifold and linkage already set up, but I want the vintage hot rod look and engineering. Since I'm envisioning a rotating rod with arms to pull down on the linkages, the slide built into an arm shouldn't be too hard to make.

Thanks a lot Frank,
Scott
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2020 at 9:09pm
Frank's idea of only the center carb setup for idle/warmup I think is good, with progression on a pair of outboards. The 232 on the old iron manifolds at least seems a bit lean on the end cylinders, judging by plug reads. Progressive outer carbs set to just come out of mid-range when the center one is half-throttle might fix that. 

Three YFs maybe? They're a PITA to rejet, but nice carbs to work with.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2020 at 7:23am
The 60s factory Tri-Power setups were like that -- carb 1 and 3 had no idle or choke, a sliding rod so the throttle had to be open to about where the idle circuit was falling out.

Sounds like a great idea Maxiblue! When running dual carbs both have to have choke and idle circuits and can't be progressive.  In some ways three is better.
Frank Swygert
wittsend View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2020 at 3:29pm
" I do have this stupid idea running around in my head to experiment with the old Buick Straight-8 idea of "compound carburetion".  That was the system where Buick had two 2-barrels, but only one was connected to linkage.  The other had a counterweight that would allow the secondary carb to remain closed until such an engine speed/vacuum situation called for it. At which point vacuum would overcome the counterweight and open the carb."

Every bump in the road would seemingly have an effect on the the counterweight? That said look at an Edelbrock/Carter carb., the secondaries have counterweights, so maybe there is something I'm not understanding. I'd post pictures but after 5+ weeks I'm still about 7 shy of 30 posts and that includes a number of "I didn't really have to" posts just to get my numbers up. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2020 at 4:41pm
the weird Holley/Weber used on pinto and vega had progressive 2 barrels.
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2020 at 4:41pm
I understand that you are more interested in "looks" than "performance", but don't you think that you could have both with a similar set-up to what I've attached below.
I think that this is a very sexy looking set-up, and if something like this was attached to a 4.0 cylinder head, would be very impressive, performance wise.
I'm sure this doesn't fit your desire...but I just thought I would throw it out there to look at, and consider.

g-man

Edited by g-man - May/26/2020 at 4:43pm
AMC only daily driver
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 7:02am
The "weird" Holley/Weber is a license built Weber, similar (if not identical) to the Weber 32/36, but I don't know what size the H/W was.

Counter weights used in the Edelbrock/Carter vacuum secondary 4V instead of springs like the Holleys? Sounds like the Buick 2V for the straight eights was just a vacuum secondary two barrel.
Frank Swygert
MaxiBlue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxiBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 11:01pm
I had a lot of experience in tuning the Holley 5200 and Weber DGAV 32/36 carburetors as they were used in a four cylinder racing class that I was a part of. They were very easy to work with and if kept clean they really didn't give you much trouble. The parts between the Holley and Weber were mostly not interchangeable, but the architecture was the same, so if you could work on one, the other was very familiar. The amount of things that you could tune was incredible. Jets, air bleeds were removable, emulsion tubes could be changed, Even the accelerator pump had 2-3 different arm positions to adjust pump shot depending on model. It was truly a nice carb design. The Weber DGAS was a 38/38 carb that was different. It shared the design of the DGAV with it's larger choke horn than the 5200, but it was not a progressive carb. The DGAS had two gear driven throttles instead of a progressive linkage. The carb was illegal in my class, and due to its linkage, it was easy to police. It also had larger throttle bores. Wow, that was a lot of rambling...

Anyhow, for this type of application, are there better YF's as far as models or years to look for? I don't have to worry about emissions, but would be interested in simplicity or if any years had easier to tune features. I've rebuilt the one on my 73 232, and the design was much simpler than the Webers. It seems to use a metering rod that opens a jet orifice depending on height. Are there bigger/smaller jets, or bigger smaller metering rods? How do you adjust the main circuit of this carb? Also, does this carb have an accelerator pump? I see only the main diaphragm. I would imagine that if I was going to use this carb in a secondary situation, the secondary carbs should probably only have working main circuits as idle and accelerator circuits would probably cause extreme rich conditions. Is my thinking correct on this?

Thanks a lot for your help and advice!
Scott

Edited by MaxiBlue - May/27/2020 at 11:11pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2020 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by MaxiBlue MaxiBlue wrote:

Anyhow, for this type of application, are there better YF's as far as models or years to look for? I don't have to worry about emissions, but would be interested in simplicity or if any years had easier to tune features.
Scott

FWIW, I don't know what differences there might be between YF/YFA submodels, but for my decidedly non-performance application I wanted new and supportable/repairable and available. I went with the one offered by Mike's Carburetors, figuring available and supported beats four aces.

Mine was wildly wrongly jetted, I did the Weber-no-no of drilling out the jet. It's worked out just great. 

$125 for a new carb. Probably chinese made, but finish quality is great, and most importantly, Mike's stands behind their products so they're "QAing" for us.

BTW, I too  really like the 32/36 and 38/38. I have the latter on my 195.6 OHV now, it's been great. But next time around I'd stick with the 32/36, just slightly easier all around.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2020 at 5:18am
Only question I have is the older stock YF intake is cast iron..you would have to machine and weld cast iron.....
Where the later aluminum is somewhat easier to weld.. but the later one is a 2bbl BBD.  Not the YF..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic