TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Muffler recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I go down to NAPA and ask for a stock replacement. 

In typical practical fashion, you're the only one here that actually gave the OP a path to answer his original question !

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

Edited by Ram Air Rick - Jan/09/2019 at 4:52am
The Anti Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Ram Air Rick Ram Air Rick wrote:

In typical practical fashion, you're the only one here that actually gave the OP a path to an answer his original question !

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

Did you miss the part where I suggested just going to an exhaust shop? If there is one area where DIY just isn't worth it, it's exhaust.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 4:54am
Originally posted by The Anti Chrysler The Anti Chrysler wrote:

In typical practical fashion, you're the only one here that actually gave the OP a path to an answer his original question !

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

Did you miss the part where I suggested just going to an exhaust shop? If there is one area where DIY just isn't worth it, it's exhaust.

No, I saw your post, and that's how I handle those situations now. I thought your suggestion was a good one, but the OP was looking for info for a muffler for his car not a service.

Rich C.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 6:33am

Originally posted by The Anti Chrysler The Anti Chrysler wrote:

Thumbs Up

Rich C.

No, I saw your post, and that's how I handle those situations now. I thought your suggestion was a good one, but the OP was looking for info for a muffler for his car not a service.

Rich C.

I have found that NAPA has a great catalog of mufflers and some that are extremely close to original AMC dimensions.......I highly recommend you try that as Ram Air Rick and 6 Pac Bee have also suggested.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 8:43am
For my 1970 AMX, I went to Midas in 1987 and got 2 lifetime mufflers. They are still on the car, 30+ years later.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2019 at 2:48pm
If you are looking for "bang for the buck", its very hard to beat Dynomax Super Turbo. I doubt you can find more flow at lower cost, and they sound pretty good. If you want a more stock sound but the same high flow capacity , they offer larger case versions.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

For my 1970 AMX, I went to Midas in 1987 and got 2 lifetime mufflers. They are still on the car, 30+ years later.

Curiously enough, the White70 has had several mufflers and tail pipes over the years. I've had the car since 1972. It has 140K miles on it. However the original cross over pipe after the exhaust manifolds is original to the car. All of it except about four to six inches where the last muffler shop shortened the pipe right before it goes into the muffler because it was getting rotten there. Weird huh. The car will be officially 50 years old this December.

I am still searching for the best sounding muffler, it has to be made of stainless steel. Not too loud but still makes the sound that everyone loves to hear.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:11am
Crossover pipe? I did not think that a 70 Javelin had one of those from the factory?

Thanks!

Chris 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 9:34am
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

Crossover pipe? I did not think that a 70 Javelin had one of those from the factory?

Thanks!

Chris 

Sorry, bad use of terminology. Back in the day we used to call the pipe that joined the two sides together before the muffler for single exhaust a cross over pipe. 
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2019 at 12:00pm
And way back when my Grandfather and Father owned the garage it was called a "Y" pipe.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic