TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

MSD ignition wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD ignition wiring
    Posted: Apr/19/2015 at 11:40pm
I recently received a MSD 6A box (for free!) from my dad. I'm trying to figure out the wiring, and I keep coming up with extra wires, so I don't know if those just aren't needed or if I'm missing something.

I'm installing this on a 1980 Spirit with a 258, I have a Duraspark module and a TFI cap and coil. The duraspark has 6 wires involved- 3 connected to the distributor, 1 runs to the coil, one to the solenoid, and one to the harness on the firewall (can't find the interior wiring diagram right now, but I would guess that's power from the ignition switch?).

Here's a link to MSD's installation instructions, pgs 17 and 18 are where the diagrams I'm looking at are. http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions.pdf

MSD provides a lot of diagrams on installing the box, and there are 3 I see as pertinent. There are two methods for using a duraspark system, and one for a TFI.

So there's my first question- since the MSD box is taking the place of the ignition module, can I just remove the duraspark module and wire it up like it's a TFI system? This would mean, as best as I can tell, none of the wires coming from the distributor would be connected to anything, one wire to the coil would have nothing connected to it (and no signal from the dizzy). So clearly there would be a little more involved, because that wouldn't work.

Next up are the Duraspark methods. One method doesn't involve the dizzy, and I'm having trouble seeing how that works, too. The other has you splice into the 3 wires coming off the distributor to trigger the box. That makes sense, now I have a signal to the MSD box, and then a signal to the coil. And I have a connection to the coil coming from the MSD box. So that's good. But here's the problems I see- the wire from the duraspark module to the firewall is now left unconnected. Maybe I don't need this since the box connects straight to the battery for power? And the wire from the duraspark box to the solenoid is also left unconnected. Can this just be left out? Last problem- when I connect to the coil with the MSD box, I leave one of the coil wires disconnected (see the diagram on the top of page 18, that's the one I'm working with here). Makes sense. But I'm connecting to a TFI coil, and I'm not positive which to leave disconnected. I know the white wire is the one that doesn't get used (per MSD instructions), so I would guess that's the one I leave disconnected, but I'm not positive, and I really don't want to just guess and end up burning something up.

I know that's hard to digest, I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into writing that makes any sense. Anybody have any help they can offer? Or have any questions about stuff I need to clarify?

Maybe I just need to call MSD, too.

Thanks for reading, and for any help you can offer!
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Cruizer71 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruizer71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 1:32am
Boy after reading your post I think I am "wired up" too much to answer..I need to lay down..
1970 AMX Bittersweet Orange
2005 Ram SRT-10 Viper
2019 Challenger T/A 392
1969 Javelin BBG 390 (sold)
1969 AMX Hunter Green 290 (sold)

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 2:21am
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/eagle/gif/ssi_80.gif

This is the wiring diagram or schematic of the ignition used on your car. Are these the parts you are referring to?
Of so I do not see how they relate to the pages you are referencing? There are three wires coming from the distributor that would be used as the pick up for the signal to be generated for the spark. The Dark Green wire would be the switched voltage from the ignition switch and a yellow wire which comes from the fuse block to supply 12 volts DC on all the time.
This (from a quick look anyway) seems to indicate that this diagram:
Installing to Points/Amplifier Style Ignition.
and the chart located just above this have the information needed Or the diagram on figure 11 or page 11.
All of the rest of the diagrams seem to indicate using an MSD distributor.

Edited by uncljohn - Apr/20/2015 at 2:30am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 8:40pm
Get TFI out of your head. I hate the use of TFI to describe putting on a big cap and hotter coil. TFI refers to the Ford module which doesn't get used in the so called TFI upgrade. It should be called the big cap upgrade. Sorry, rant over. I have an MSD on mine and just went and looked at it. You are going to remove the Duraspark module. I don't know if your distributor colors are the same, but I have orange, violet and black. MSD violet wire to distributor orange wire. MSD green wire to distributor violet wire. The black distributor wire doesn't get used. MSD orange to coil positive and MSD black to coil negative. Make sure when you connect the 12v power wire you aren't connected to the resistor wire to the old coil. Also, if you experience run on when you turn off the ignition, you may have to install a diode. 

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2015 at 8:35pm
You can buy a plug adapter for the distributor/ msd box. Part# 8869. it plugs between the box and dizzy. It makes it a lot easier to figure out the rest. Summit racing sells them
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 8:42pm
I think I got it figured out, and getting TFI out of my head had a lot to do with it. Of course I got it figured out just in time to go out of town, so it will be a bit before I can get it actually wired. Once I get it squared away I'll be drawing a current diagram for my own sake, I'll post it up on here, too.

Have any of you had run on issues? I saw that note in the instructions but was wondering how common it was.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 11:15pm
Wire direct to dist using mag trigger, just remember wires at dist are opposite if msd colors

EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 7:14am
I had a run on problem after installing a 130 amp Delco alternator.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic