TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

MSD 8523 Dist with Factory Tach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD 8523 Dist with Factory Tach
    Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 6:02pm
White70, Rodhhrod, WesternRed, and others, I've talked to each of you on this subject, so if you have more to add, I'd appreciate your comments.

I've been studying the TSM Tach schematics in order to integrate my MSD 8523 Ready-to-Run Dist. and Blaster II with my factory 8K tach.   I believe I have to solution, but would like input.

The MSD installation manual says to connect the dist. orange and red wires to the coil and have 12v feeding the coil for power. I don't believe the factory 8K tach will handle a full 12v as the TSM schematics indicates a lower voltage with the use of the double yellow wire connection at the I terminal of the solenoid.

It's the MSD dist that requires 12v to operate correctly. I BELIEVE the coil works at its best at 12v, however, if the Blaster II is used with a points dist., a ballast resistor is required thus running at a lower voltage.

So, the drawing below shows my wiring of the MSD dist as well as the TSM tach wiring from the I terminal to the tach, then to the coil. I removed the MSD recommended RED wire from the + side of the coil and connected to the ignition 'run' wire to meet the 12v requirement of the dist.   The tach worked flawlessly.

So, my question is: if a points dist. requires the Blaster II to incorporate a ballast resistor, therefore, running a lower voltage so as not to burn up the points, why can't I run the same lower voltage (power feed from the double yellow wires through the blue tach wire)to feed the coil AS LONG AS I have a full 12v requirement feeding the MSD dist.?

What are your thoughts?

Greg E.
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 12:16pm
Very nice work on this, this has been an issue for a very long time. If this works, it will save folks a lot of money on tach conversion. I hope folks who try this will post results. I have already done the tach conversion years ago.
Congrats    ClapClap
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 9:58pm
I am really surprised that no one has posted a comment on this.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2019 at 4:54pm
I don't know how I missed this thread.

I don't recall using any thing other than the Billet ready to run MSD distributor and wiring it into the ignition circuit and AMC factory in dash 8K tachometer circuit somehow.  I wish I could remember. I will have to take a look at it to refresh my memory, I did this conversion at least 10 or 12 years ago and have been putting 1500 to 2000 miles on the car each year after, no troubles with tachometer or distributor.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic