TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Moving oil filter back to the bottom of oil pump
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Moving oil filter back to the bottom of oil pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving oil filter back to the bottom of oil pump
    Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 9:38am
I was sick of the ugly oil filter sticking up in the middle of my engine bay and the amount of time the engine took to build oil pressure on start up, on my 1970 Rebel so I thought I would have a go at putting the oil filter on the bottom of the oil pump as they are in the U.S.A.
I ordered these 2 parts from American Parts Depot. The housing has the oil bypass deleted and I already had a new relief valve and gasket in the shed, but you would need to order these as well if you were doing the job. Though you could probably just use your old main relief valve if you wanted to.

I also went though a repco oil filter spec sheet and found the smallest dimension oil filter with a 13/16 thread. ROF87 is what I cam up with.

I fitted the new main relief valve and new fitting to the new oil cover and then bolted it to the bottom of the oil pump. Was a little tricky as the pump gears both want to keep falling out! Then screwed the  ROF87 oil filter on. And it fit!!!!

There is not a heap of clearance between the oil filter and the sway bar as you can see in the photos. The next step is to run the engine and stall it up in gear to see how close the filter gets to the sway bar when it rocks on its mounts. If it looks to close though I think I could put spacers under where the sway bar bolts to the chassis for some extra clearance. The engine wont be running for a few weeks or maybe a month though, so you will have to weight a bit for an update.

The power steering hoses are a bit tight through there as well, but they weren't exactly great before anyway. They could always be re routed at a later date if needed, but will do for now.

I also fitted this edelbrock Performer manifold today as well. I used the ARP bolts with the small heads.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 10:14am
First time I ever saw an Aussie engine bay with a V8. Gosh! I wonder why AMC did not do an Aussie valve cover, as to place the distributor and fuel pump on the left side, thus placing the pump on the right side. Donno, for all the work, an oil filter relocation plate and lines would give you more room. Plus your oil pressure sending unit looks a bit cramped too.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/19/2016 at 10:17am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 5:09pm
Did this on my javelin, used a small holden filter, no problems.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 7:47pm
All the Rebels, Matadors, Javelins and AMX's are v8's here as fas a I know. Only 6 cylinder Hornets and the earlier 60's models were sixes i think.
There is actually plenty of room for the oil pressure switch. It's just an illusion of the camera angle that it looks like it is hitting on the oil pump. 
It already had a relocation plate and lines, but they ran to a crappy spot and the hoses interfere with the heater hoses. Heres a pic of how they are normally ran on the Australian cars. 

Once the alternator is back on you wont see the oil pump and filter anyway. 
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 8:00pm
Hi GremX,

I thought this must have been done before. Probably multiple times. I thought I'd put some pics up in case other people want to do it. I think the filter I used is probably a Holden one as well. They seem to use the 13/16th thread.

Was the oil filter quite close to the sway bar on your Javelin?
If so, I guess it wasn't a problem with a little bit of engine rock?

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 6:57am
The sway bar wasn't a problem on US LHD cars, so it shouldn't really be a problem here either
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 7:29am
There's clearance there, the engine torque actually increases the space.
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 8:47am
Ahhh, so the engine will twist the other way. I didn't really think about which way it would twist. 
Sweet!

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 8:55am
From what I know toilets or loos rotate counter clockwise in Australia. So don't engines turn that way when in Australia as well. Ha!
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
skymit View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 7:06pm
You have rotating toilets in the USA? WeirdLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic