TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Motorcraft alternator upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 1:47pm
Watts = Volts * Amps

With a 500 watt sound system in a new Mustang (yes they are this big on some) and a roughly 12 volt system, you need at least 500/12 = 42 amps. Add in climate control, FI, P/W, P/L, sun roof, high power halogen headlights and other goodies and a 50 amp alternator just won't cut it.
DWR
1968 AMX

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 2:48pm
They may be rated 500 watt, but I highly doubt they pull a continuous 500 watts......
If that were the true pull, just to run the power wire to the unit a distance of only 7 feet would require #8 wire - possibly a #6 if the run wasn't direct.
42 amps out of an alternator at idle would be a notable load on the engine, then kick on the A/C compressor and ouch.

One may be interested in hearing that the test specs state that (in most cases, most manufacturers) if the alternator puts out within 10% of the rated output it's good.
I have to wonder, and may try to find one to test for kicks - if a 130 amp alternator will actually even do that - and if so, continuously? Or is that a peak rating? And if it did, and it was in specs, then it may actually only put out 117 and be called just fine by the maker. So a 60 in perfect working order according to the manufacturer specs may put out 54 and be just fine, and not covered as "not putting out rated output".

Windows, locks, etc. are non-continuous and normally not counted at full ratings for charging system output.
You aren't using all accessories at one point in time. When is the stereo (rated 500, but won't really be pulling that much even in the worst cases) and the power lock solenoid and power window motor and sun roof motor, etc. etc etc all used at one time?

My shop has a 100 amp box - and yet if you add up my powder coating oven, welder, the HID lighting, the fluorescent lights upstairs, my 220v 5hp air compressor, 2 ceiling fans, vacuums, RAS, table saw, sanders, power miter saw, belt sander, scroll saw, band saw, car battery chargers, drill battery chargers, exhaust fan (let's see, what did I leave out - oh, yeah) soldering gun(s), infrared heater fan..... I suspect I'd be blowing 100 amps away really fast and burn the place down.

honestly,  I ran a 60 in my truck in the stereo contests with all the power stuff, and all the heavy lighting that would give you a sun tan at night, did fine.
The Jeep I pulled the engine from for my Eagle was loaded, premium sound and bells and whistles like you'd expect in a ZJ - 60 amp alternator.

I know where the myths about needing 120+ amp alternators when upgrading comes from. but the gap between the number as far as what's really needed vs. the number arrived at by adding up power accessory ratings is pretty large sometimes.

One good way to tell is to check the wiring. If the wiring can support that sort of load, then the load is closer to reality. The big alternator doesn't mean the thing really needs it. They are standardizing more and more.

Since I have to support and back what I work on  or sell someone, I'm not about to tell them a 37 is fine if I have even a hint that they might burn it out with a 70 amp load in the first month. That may well be another reason for 130+ amp units on a car that will never pull that much load..... WARRANTY, hassles.

(It would indeed be interesting to really see the wire gauge run on some of the high rated units, and what they run from the alternator output back to the loads.......)

Just tossing out thoughts- that's all. 

Edited by billd - May/29/2012 at 2:57pm
AMX North View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX North Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 5:15pm

You are correct Bill it could have been the driver ! My wife drove it most of the time Wink Don`t tell her I said that LOL

Come to think of it she has only driven the AMX one time and I have never replaced the alternator on that car Wink
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

kellysguy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellysguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 7:37pm
Put the a/c on this winter?!?!?!

It aint cold enough in Ohio already?LOL

It does look nica and clean. Looks like someone has a mill for a toyWink

The GM 63 amp 7127 is still readily avalible over-the-counter not only in stock form but one-wire too.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

i gather you made the brackets   and spacer  what did it cost to make them  and would you make another set ??

Yes I made the brackets. All they are is 1/4" think X 1" wide flat steel bars I had laying around. I got it at Lowes or someplace. I cleaned them up and I bent the first part in a vise with some added heat but I took these to work and bent hem in a press to make them a little cleaner. You really don't have to bend them as straight parts would work but you would need more spacing to the timing cover. My top stud had bad threads towards the end so I had to cut it back, which prompted me to bend it. After hanging the alternator in place with my same belt, I marked the lower bracket for the slot. I'm sorry but I just don't have the time to make any more or I would.

The top bolt is 7/16 X 6.5" and I had to get it from Fastenal. The spacer could be a piece of pipe cut to length. I made this one from aluminum at work. Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by kellysguy kellysguy wrote:

Put the a/c on this winter?!?!?!

It aint cold enough in Ohio already?LOL

It does look nica and clean. Looks like someone has a mill for a toyWink

The GM 63 amp 7127 is still readily avalible over-the-counter not only in stock form but one-wire too.

I'd do it sooner if I had time but I'd rather be driving it! Smile

Been in the mid 90's here so not to cold. LOL

Thank you. No mill, just a press as I posted in another reply but you don't have to bend them if you can't. The vise did work OK but it didn't bend quite as nice.

If I remember right, don't you have to modify the GM alternator? Maybe drill out the pivot boss? Anyway, I don't care for the one wire setup and those old GM units don't put out as good at idle. I'd rather have a big alternator that puts out 20%-30% of capacity than to have a smaller unit pushing 50%-60% capacity. Less strain and less heat equals longer life IMO. I wanted something popular because we do long hauls in this car like 1000+ miles in one trip and I know there are a million Mustangs on the road.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 8:12pm
One other thing I want to mention is that I've added some load to my car to the point that I have two fuse panels in it - the stock one and another 10 slot mini panel so I wouldn't overload the original wiring. I have a set of Hella headlights with 80/100 watt halogen bulbs, (on relays of course) a high power radio, 1000 watt amp, cruise control, MSD ignition and I'll be adding power seats soon. I almost forgot my compass/temp mirror!! LOL I keep adding more comfort/convenience things the more we drive it but it's worth it! Thumbs Up

Thanks again for all the kind words about my setup. You guys have some nice ideas which I've used so I'm sharing mine. That's what this boards about. Cool

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 8:41am
Nice setup MoparGuy, looks pro.

Wondering how the wiring is done and what regulator is used for that Motorcraft alternator.

AND,

Where did you find that tightly curved heater hose?? That appears to be the key to your install,Wink the clean reroute of the hose.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 10:22am
Nice job and nice looking alternator. The newer castings certainly show a lot more finesse. Lots of cooling capacity on that one.

How wide is the pivot base and what is the case diameter? How many wires coming out of it and what to do with the extras? 

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Nice setup MoparGuy, looks pro.

Wondering how the wiring is done and what regulator is used for that Motorcraft alternator.

AND,

Where did you find that tightly curved heater hose?? That appears to be the key to your install,Wink the clean reroute of the hose.

Armand

Thanks Armand! The regulator is internal and here is a diagram for a Mustang that I used as a reference. I got a V belt pulley from a local rebuild shop for $5. That's the only mod needed to the alternator.

The heater hose I used is from a 2001 Chrysler Concord and yes it made the whole thing come together quite well. I was able to keep this same setup when I added A/C. All I did was switch the pulley to a double sheave and aligned my compressor with it so I have a double belt setup now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic