TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

MOOG K 3090 strut rod bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MOOG K 3090 strut rod bushings
    Posted: Jun/15/2016 at 8:49am
I believe the MOOG K3090 strut rod bushings are probably the best game in town right now, although I'm not as convinced about their "new" design as the old tried and true original design strut rod bushing that the 1970 cars came with from the factory. I believe the bushing material itself to be something other than real rubber and definitely not the same resiliency as the original bushing and therefore, somewhat stiffer.
I would really like to hear from some guys who have installed the "new design" MOOG K3090 and what you opinions are on these bushing kits. Am I correct about the stiffness?

Thanks,

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 5:49pm
I have them on all 4 of my cars, before and after wasn't a huge difference (that I could tell, I installed as part of a full front end rebuild), mainly they keep your caster more constant when turning/over time.

Also, they give you more precise adjustment with caster, with the old design you would set it, and after jacking/lowering a few times, it would change drastically.

The main issue with using stock style rubber, is that it is mostly old stock left. MANY guys on this forum went with the original style from Kanter, etc, only to have it split right in half due to age right on the jack-stands, before it ever hit the ground.

Trust me, the rubber on this style bushings is very resilient. I installed late 90s/early 00s era (the last time the Moog parts were actually manufactured) on 2 of my cars in the 2010 period, and the rubber is literally still perfect, not a crack.

I have a car that they were documented as installed in 1989-still no cracks
I have another car they were documented as installed in 1994-again still perfect.

The car can be jacked up and down without fear of cracking the bushings. One of these sat on jack-stands for several months, and when lowered, still didn't show any signs of cracking.

Now, in an ideal world we could get new bushings made to the exact standards of the quality AMC made back in the day, with fresh materials so they wouldn't crack when put on the car. However in today's world with more aggressive wheel/tire combos and stiffer suspensions, their appeal would be limited, as most would want the most precise part for the job possible.

For a stock suspension with factory mushy shocks, skinny non-radial tires, and an individual not yet exposed to how a modern car handles they would most likely offer the superior ride. However, I noticed no degradation in ride when accompanied with good sized BFG radials, KYB shocks, and a good alignment, not exactly the combo that was being run back in the day, but today considered as close to stock a combo as you would want to go without compromising on ride. Your mileage will vary.

Edited by SportaboutX - Jul/15/2016 at 5:53pm
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 2:07pm
It is good you can still find available rubber bushings.

I saw a big radial crack in one of my original bushings on my 64 Classic but me not wanting to spend the big money for rubber and Moog no longer making them (3095?), I had a set of Prothane bushings arrive on the doorstep yesterday. I expect the ride could become a little rougher.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic