TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mom
    Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 7:38am
Always supported us in good and bad times, supported our career paths, our hobbies, put up with the smell of rotten eggs when I got my first chemistry set, antique engine parts on the kitchen table, running cars or engines all time of day or night, always there for us, always.

When I got the 70 Javelin I have now she asked if she could go for a ride in it. She had pictures of our cars posted all over a room they dedicated to our hobbies and us kids. I don't know if the room has walls, I wonder if one looked behind the photos and awards and certificates if the wall maybe hasn't long ago disappeared or is perhaps being held up by all the photos.

She loved music - naw, not the Glenn Miller big band stuff or whiny country music although we did watch Hee Haw because Mom liked the corny jokes, but she liked pop music, uh, even rock, she asked if I'd make a tape for her of a band I was listening to in the 70s. Queen. Yes, that's correct.
When I got into the Moody Blues she wanted their music, too - and wanted to go to a concert with us.

Reading - she LOVED to read. Trips to the library every Saturday morning - always 2 or 3 books by her chair. Not mushy cheap romance novels, mysteries, sci-fi, works by Isaac Asimov. Yeah, she read some of the romance stuff but not the cheap paperbacks people usually equate with romance novels, it was more sophisticated stuff.  Even though she never had a chance for higher education, she kept up with current events, understood much of what was going on in the world and science and many who knew her are now saying "she was a very intelligent woman, well above average IQ". Even the hospice chaplain believed that.

Organized to the max, she kept a budget that kept them going even when the union was on strike or times were particularly difficult financially. Everything was extremely well planned. She was also traditional in some ways - the old thing about laundry on Monday, ironing on Tuesday and so on, she did that. We used to laugh and accuse her of keeping watch and catching dust in the air before it could land on anything. You never saw dust in the house. Not on anything. (too bad I didn't inherit some of that!) The house was extremely modest but well cared for and clean. Rooms were tiny and few but she made it all work.

Yes, we had ordinary pets - cats for as long as I lived there and beyond, which she helped care for and loved as much as we did, but we also had toads, hamsters, tropical fish, salamanders, crawdads and yes, even a snake - which if I recall SHE brought in and cared for.
There are cat pictures, cat wind chimes, cat trinkets all over their house. She used to dabble in painting so there are some cat paintings in the house she did many years ago.
She enjoyed the nature shows on public TV, animals and birds and fish of all sorts.
No surprise then that memorials are to go to the Humane Society of Perry as per her wishes.

She loved to participate - when I was into the antique engines, she wanted to go to some of the shows I was at. When I was very young my grandfather, her father, would take us fishing. Yes, Mom, too. No one needed to bait her hook! When we weren't fishing, Grandpa, Mom and I just walked along the streams and creeks looking for neat rocks as I called them waaay back. On one such outing she found ancient pottery fragments and an arrow head. She was so excited she sent them off for carbon dating. The results came back as being from somewhere around 2,000 BC.

67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 7:56am
Bill, our prayers are with you and your family.  May your Mother rest in eternal bliss.
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 8:01am
My sincerest condolences on your loss.  Your mother sounds a lot like mine was.  The time her two sons baked an intake manifold in her oven and filled the house with blue smoke only provoked a mild 'don't do that again'.  It got so she would watch me rebuild a carburetor on her kitchen table and even got to the point she knew what went where.  Or the time the car wouldn't start after church and she cleaned the battery terminals to get it going again.  Treasure the memories, a lot of what we are today is due to our mothers. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 8:58am
Lots of great memories there Bill. Condolences to you and your entire family.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 9:12am
Made me tear up there, Bill. I lost my mom when she was only 57, 32 years ago, and your description of your wonderful mother brings back the memories like it was yesterday. Blessings to you and your family.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 9:23am
So sorry for your loss, she truly loved her family.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 9:24am
Sorry to hear of your loss Bill. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom. Sounds like she was an amazing woman.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 11:00am
Sorry for your loss. Lost my mom years ago. I know how much you miss them.
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 11:17am
Obviously a remarkable woman. My own mother has always been more of a "car guy" than my dad was. 
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2015 at 11:37am
Sorry about your loss Bill, just take comfort in knowing she is in a far better place then where we are at now. I know from your previous e-mails she has had a lot of challenges, but obviously kept a great family together. My mother was the first AMC owner in our family!!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic