TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Modify factory a/c evaporator box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modify factory a/c evaporator box
    Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 9:21pm
I was looking at the factory evaporator box and wondering, if I could keep the defrost and floor vent capability and drop the now useless evaporator.... So, yesterday, out came the angle grinder and off came more than half of the box. I kept the control panel on the right end, and 'glassed up the open front. It now has a flat front panel angled up from the floor vent to the defrost tubes​. The heater control cables have a little more free room as well, and I can tuck the wiring under the dash more effectively. If anyone has a particular need for the factory a/c vent panel, I will gladly trade it for a non-a/c version. Pm me if interested. Also still have the evaporator and the expansion v. A
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2017 at 4:27am
Don't know as I never had an AMC without AC... There are two versions of the ducting setup. The Evap box is not included with non AC cars. So cutting it up sort of makes a hard to find item for Javelins even more difficult.

It would have been better to have requested non AC setup and trained for extra needed parts than to kill an Evap and sell off bits and pieces, imo.

Just saying, as it is one of them leap before looking moments. Not that it is bad, just many have done mods in various ways through the years when things were plentiful. Now just about every part has some need to somebody somewhere at any given time.

Sorry to take your topic, and change its direction. Just felt a need to point out things for the peeps who pop in looking around and still green around the gills.

I would suggest to place post in the for sale section for your AC parts. Be specific to prices and follow the rules, as it is a sticky. Placing your parts availability in an open thread sort of deadens both points you bring into discussion. Most peeps don't look for needed parts in such threads, and when one shows interest the thread becomes a for sale section, that is not monitored as such until moved.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 10:48am
What model car do you have? I recall it's a 63-66 Classic, but which? The 63-64 don't use a vent delete plat for the AC, they have a different dash for non-AC and AC models. The 65-66 have a blank panel that covers the area.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic