TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Model 20/Moser Axle kits/model 20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edezutel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model 20/Moser Axle kits/model 20
    Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 2:14pm
I am in the process of doing a gear swap and upgrading to the moser one piece axles in a 1969 AMX the car has a built 411 ci motor/T10 and I plan on running a 275 m/t drag radial.. I went to Mosers site and downloaded the directions etc.. does anyone know the part number for a 1969? and is there a step by step (pictures would help) guide for doing this.. thanks EdCool
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 2:44pm
From what I understand you send them your old axles so they can get exact measurements. I might be wrong though.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 2:53pm
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 2:56pm
Ed welcome to the forum. You should call Moser and find out how they want to do it but most of the AMC axles they do you have to send in yours so they can get the size right. I know you could measure yours but I think they have had too many that did not know how to use a tape measure. You also can't tell them it is for 19xx year car because 68-70 AMX/Javelin use a skinner axle than the 71-74 Javelin. Because they bolt in/swap to the other years and have been over the years Moser needs your axles.
Dont try and press off the hubs off to get the brake backing plates off, just cut the outter bearing cage off the bearing and the plates will come off.
Dave ----

ps yes I have Moser's in my drag car, yes I sent them in, yes I cut the bearing after the machine shop messed up the axles & hubs. Been too many years since I did them but sure I called them before I sent them in.

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Jan/22/2012 at 3:04pm
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 6:51pm
X2 what Dave said above!

I got some Moser axles a few months ago for my 70 AMX. They want to measure your old ones. With the puller I made popping the hubs off is no problem, but (like Dave said) cutting the bearing is also a good way to get the backing plates off without damaging them.

Dennis 
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 7:08pm
I have Mosers  and I did not send my axles in, I drew a detailed print of what I wanted. I did make them work when I receive them, But they were not made as per the drawings, But close.
Like a lot of service and machine shops today that can't follow simple direction or a drawing. A bunch of stupid hacks that piss me off.

I used the tapered bearings in my rear and not the green bearings like most use.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jan/22/2012 at 7:10pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2012 at 7:27pm
x3 what Fuzz said.  Pulled axles and not the hubs and sent to Moser.  It took about a week and I had my new (and old) axles back.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
edezutel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edezutel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2012 at 5:18pm
i will call moser first.. i will post up findings..
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2012 at 1:26am
When i bought my Henry's they asked for a measurement then sent them. Seems 69 and 70 Amx's use different lengths.
Be sure to weld the tubes in and reinforce the perches.
I used the supplied bearings w/a couple of tig spots and bored the backing plates so i could check the axle twist easily. Also painted a stripe on the axles to check for twist.
Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
edezutel View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edezutel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 5:47pm

AMC Forged Axles 1968-74 AMX and Javelin

$425.00

AMC Forged Axles: The weak point on all AMC Model 20 rear axles used in all AMC cars with a V-8 are the two-piece rear axle and hub assembly. A stock 390 or 401 can shear the splines on the axle and hub in a heartbeat, especially now that these parts can be up to 40+ years old. A modified 290, 304, 343, 360, 390 or 401 can easily spin the rear axle hub, especially with oversize rear tires. When this happens, the car will not move and you are stranded where ever you are. In the worst cases, the axle can also shear and the wheel and tire literally fall off the car! Major embarrassment and quarter panel damage.

Forged, one-piece rear axles were never commonly available for AMC cars and the only car that got them were the Super Stock race cars. Made by Strange Company, they were very expensive. The forged, one-piece axle is made of from a single, machined forging of high strength alloy which eliminates the AMC stock splined hub and axle that can fail, especially on a high performance car. For the last 40 years, installing extra keyways was the only way to go, but this did not cure all the weak points at all. Now, that method is a waste of money.

These modern forged axles are a simple bolt-in. You must use a hub puller to pull the stock hubs and a slide hammer to pull the axle-or let a shop do it, it is not a big or expensive job. Put the brakes back on, install the rim and tire and you have a super strong ALL AMC rear axle. No need worry about rear axle problems, no need to cross breed your AMC car with Ford or Mopar rear axles grafted on the rear springs. It is easy, simple and no longer very expensive.

Axle kits come with both the right and left forged axles, high performance bearings (to be pressed on at a local parts house) and new studs for the lugnuts (already pressed on). Guaranteed against breakage for 1 year by AMX Enterprises. (Some restrictions.)

Axle kits available for the 1968, 69, 70 AMX and 1968 - 1974 Javelin right off the shelf. Available for all other AMC cars using the AMC Model 20 V-8 rear axle if you send us your old axles to make sure dimensions are correct.

Larry 435-644-8379 this is who I ordered mine from did need to send on my old ones..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic