TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 6:21pm
I have not worked on a torque tube style diff but my understanding is they are basically the same. You should be able to remove your carrier and ring gear and install ring gear onto new carrier and install. The only thing I have been told is that doing so you will need a way different set of shims to set the backlash. Hope this answers you question. 
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 7:10pm
Torque tube and open drive shaft AMC 20's use different pinion gears. One won't work in the other. 
elkyman70 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkyman70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 8:14pm
ahh, bummer. Was hoping an easy carrier swap would maybe cure my rear end issue.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2014 at 8:38pm
What's different on the pinion is the bearing and nut configuration. About the crown and carrier I don't know.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 7:05pm
There's an oddball end on the pinion.
The early 66 open driveline cars actually got a somewhat modified TT pinion, but I don't even know if they can be put in a TT.

What's wrong with the existing one?
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 5:48am
Yeah, on the TT version the nut goes on and the splines stick out ahead of it for the drive shaft to slide onto. On the open drive shaft version the splines are of course behind the nut.
elkyman70 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkyman70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 5:19pm
nothing wrong with the pinion as far as I know. Just thought I could swap out the carriers using my old gears if they were essentially the same.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 6:42pm
I assume you want to remove an open carrier and replace it with a twin grip. You should be able to remove axles, measure back lash and replace the open carrier with one of your choice. Installing the new carrier you will need to set the backlash back to what it was before you removed the carrier. This is done with shims on each side of the carrier bearings. A new carrier will likely be different shims than with the old carrier.
elkyman70 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkyman70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:23pm
Yes, that basically what I'm wanting to do. My rear end sounds like its slipping if I get on the throttle too much from a dead stop. I thought maybe it was transmission related and took it to a local shop that the owner is into AMC's and he said trans was fine. Torque converter just popped in my head but the car works fine other than from a dead stop. The unit I'm looking to install is an Auburn posi.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2014 at 8:28am
you may have spun one of the hubs on the axle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
  Share Topic