TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

model 20 answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by amcamx70ny amcamx70ny wrote:

I believe the backing plates (for the rear brakes) hold the axles in.
Yes that is right. The stock set up the axle is tappered and gets a little wider so the axle can not pull thru the bearing. The bearing is then held in by a seal plate & backing plate.

Now the Mosers are a press on from the center end and then a locking collar is pressed in to hold the bearing to the axle. That is after the backing plate & seal/plate is placed on the axle first.

Some guys have questioned this setup and the axles pulling out of the bearing but that is for road racing with sticky tires but I dont think any one has had that happen.
Street I have never heard of axles pulling out and I would run them on my street car when the time comes. I do run Mosers on my drag car.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
68SSTjavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68SSTjavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 11:54pm
Thanks amcamx70ny 
It's not the destination, it's the journey!
'68 Javelin SST
'06 Impaler custom scooter
'11 Harley Street Glide
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2013 at 11:27am
Originally posted by 68SSTjavelin 68SSTjavelin wrote:

This has been an awesome thread. Thank you all for all of the education on the AMC 20 rear end. I am left with a few questions after reading the entire thread. and having never rebuilt a rear end before, some of these questions may come off very newbie-ish. I want to change gear ratio and add twin grip, posi-trac, limited slip, what ever one wants to call it.
1) Where would I get the shims mentioned here. Are these available aftermarket?
2) If I am changing gear ratio, do I need any additional shims sets?
3) Looking at parts available at Jegs, for example, the pro series differential is a 12 bolt. does this mean 12 bolts for the ring gear? If so, looking at these photos, the ring gears depicted only have 8 bolts.

Thanks in advance for any updates or added info!

Yukon gear and other Jeep places can be a little easier to navigate and get AMC 20 parts and info. lots of Jeeps came with AMC 20's
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2013 at 12:20pm
There are numerous places on the web that offer rebuild kits and shims for the AMC 20 axle.
answers
question 1
Ratech has great shim sets. Probably the best as they are made to fit AMC 20 not like the other supliers whose kits are really for GM axles.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/amc.htm

Randy's ring and pinion

http://www.ringpinion.com/

questions 2

Yes, the pinion will be in a different location for each gear set. The ring gear will be also. The different locations for ring and pinion and to achieve the correct mesh requires different shim thicknesses. It would be shear coincidence if the shims were the same.

question 3

The cover uses 12 bolts to fasten to the case. The ring gear uses 8 bolts to fasten to the carrier.

hope this helps,

Armand

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68SSTjavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2014 at 10:08pm
Everything went together just fine, or so I thought. I went out for a spin and heard something so I came home and jacked up the car.  I have an issue with the axle end play, the axles do not touch each other. I replaced the carrier with an ECTED Locker, was I supposed to take the thrust block out of the origanal carrier and install it in the new carrier? I reused the original two piece axles.
If this is the case, how do I do that? Did I ruin the bearings. I have a lot of slop in the end play.
'68 Javelin SST
'11 Harley Street Glide
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 7:08pm
I cant tell from pictures but if there was not a block inside the carrier I would say  it needs one to work correctly. From the looks in catalogs it may be made for jeeps with one piece axles and they may not put one in it.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 7:23pm
Yes it needs the spacer/block out of the old diff.When using stock axles.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68SSTjavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by needafasterAMX needafasterAMX wrote:

Yes it needs the spacer/block out of the old diff.When using stock axles.

Thank you. I pulled the spacer out of the old carrier. Not to get a hub puller again and tear it apart one more time,  Ouch This is not going to beat me LOL
'68 Javelin SST
'11 Harley Street Glide
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2014 at 10:40pm
Why do you need a puller unless yo uhave to adjust the shims.
You should be able to pull the axle to install the block.
That is how I installed a Lock Right Locker in my Gremlin.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
elkyman70 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elkyman70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2014 at 9:58pm
Ok, may be a silly question but is a '66 AMC 20 rear basically identical to say a '70 AMC 20 rear? I have a '66 Marlin and am thinking of replacing the center section and would hate to drop @ $500 and find out they are different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
  Share Topic