TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

mix atf with gl4?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2015 at 4:21pm
There were more traffic deaths those years for many reasons. Roads weren't as good, cars weren't as safe are the main two. No interstates or good straight roads in most areas, so there wasn't a lot of high speed cruising. That doesn't mean people weren't driving too fast on twisty roads when they shouldn't have been... just like they still do toady! But we have interstates and can cruise all day at 60-70 mph for 4-5 hours without stopping, then stop for gas and bathroom break and continue for another 4-5 hours. Not uncommon to take a 12-16 hour trip and get halfway across the country. Wouldn't have got half that far in that amount of time in the 50s. 
Frank Swygert
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

There were more traffic deaths those years for many reasons. Roads weren't as good, cars weren't as safe are the main two. No interstates or good straight roads in most areas, so there wasn't a lot of high speed cruising. That doesn't mean people weren't driving too fast on twisty roads when they shouldn't have been... just like they still do toady! But we have interstates and can cruise all day at 60-70 mph for 4-5 hours without stopping, then stop for gas and bathroom break and continue for another 4-5 hours. Not uncommon to take a 12-16 hour trip and get halfway across the country. Wouldn't have got half that far in that amount of time in the 50s. 
I was born in 1949, and what I remember most about my father driving in the 50's, is that every time that we went on a lengthy trip on the 2 lane highways, we would drive up some serious collisions in which you just knew someone was killed, or you actually saw the blood and the dead and injured.
 Drivers would get impatient, and pull out to pass, and get hit head on by a truck or another car. What was the most dangerous was passing a tractor trailer when it was raining, and you couldn't see because of the rooster tail (water spray) coming off the rear of the trailer, until you were almost beside it.

No seat belts, metal dashes, sharp edges and knobs inside, no safety glass......brutal what that does to a human body in a 60 mph head on crash.

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2015 at 10:52am
Cars of the 30's and 40's were not uncommon with 3.7+X:1 rear axles and 4.11:1 with O.D. But keep in mind, there was a national 35 mph speed limit during WWII and the travel was largely dirt road or 2 or 3 lane paved with center being the passing lane. The also it must be noticed that wheel and tire diameter was larger with balloon tires just making an impact. The advent of the automatic transmission with a torque converter to multiply the ability to climb steep hills slowly and move from a dead stop and the some time usefulness of semi-automatic transmissions made it easier to use taller more economical rear axle gears. The engineering to move from flat head to over head valve short stroke engines drove higher engine speeds which also allowed for taller gears to run down the roads which starting in the 50's became national freeway divided lane 4 lane roads. Lower diameter tires, 14 inches in the 1950's also helped. 4 speed transmissions became acceptable by the 1970'sand they morphed into overdrives by either incorporating a 5th gear or making 4th .7:1 with 3rd 1;1 giving the equivelent of a wide ratio 3 speed with an over drive.
Shifting went from a necesity to a skill untill automatics became better. Chevy 2 speed power glide, Mopar and Ford had their's too. Buick Dynaflow was one speed with a switched vane torq converter. Packards 2 speed with a lock up converter. All morphed into todays multiple speed boxes with lock up converters.
I learned to drive on a crash box, all gears were non synchromesh and shifting it was an art with matching engine speed to road speed by allowing it to drop in neutral between gears and raising it down shifting. When you were good at it, you could shift with out a clutch. And I still can.
And if you do not pay attention to the final drive of a 5speed conversion you have the equivelent of a 1948 work truck. A granny low, a wide ratio 3 speed and an O.d. A wholly unsatisfactory result after spending money to replace a good transmission with something un-usable. I shoot for 32 mph / 1000 rpm in the final gear and it generally gives me a satisfactory road geared car with a 5 speed conversion.
But that is my preference.
If I wanted to drive a 1948 work truck I know where to buy one from.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2015 at 5:00pm
The original post says both T-96 and T-10...which one is it? Because the T-10 is fully synchronized in all forward gears.

People still tried to avoid downshifting to 1st if at all possible, and when all gears were unsynchronized, shifting entirely. It was common to lug the engine along in high gear. In fact, many manufacturers claimed how slow their vehicles could go in high gear without lurching as a selling point!

This is why long-stroke engines with lots of cylinders were so popular in the 1920's and 30's before silent synchromesh was common. A V16 Cadillac can really lug down smoothly.

My grandfather's 1934 Ford has an unsynchronized first and unfortunately 2nd is really lugging the engine down to make a turn unless you want to fly out the side window, so I learned how to double-clutch that old Ford into 1st. Manual steering makes it even more fun. If you think 1960's manual steering is stiff, you've got another thing coming.

I also learned how to shift to 1st before coming to a stop, because sometimes they don't want to shift into gear once stopped. You can either do it right as you come to a stop or you can slow down in neutral with the clutch out then clutch in and shift right when the vehicle is at the speed it idles at in 1st. The engine and vehicle are at the same speed then.

And of course always shift with a soft hand. Pretend you are shaking hands with Ava Gardner. Yamming that shifter will only chip teeth. That's a good rule in general, because even synchronized gears don't like being mauled into place.

Edited by FSJunkie - Jan/21/2015 at 5:03pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2015 at 6:24pm
I think he just hit the wrong key.

Borg-Warner made a R-10 and R-11 overdrive, the lighter duty R-10 would be on a T-96.

It's been a long time since I drove a overdrive equipped car, but one think I remember. On a car with overdrive, if you had the overdrive engaged, but were below the engagement speed of about 28 mph, the car was freewheeling when you let off the gas, you could shift into low without double clutching and you'd get no gear clash, as long as you didn't rush the downshift.

That was another reason those overdrives were so popular back in the 50's.   We lived in a very mountainous area of Va.   When I was young my Dad, had both a 53 and 55 Fords, both with od. Mainly because he could get them with the steep rear end ratios, for the mountains, but still have a car that was decent for long trips.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 9:05am
tyrodtom,
You are correct I have the r10 od and it is smooth. It has been above freezing here so I have not changed the oil yet and driving it daily for work. I got bad news from my welder yesterday. He said the front cap has to come off to fix the fire wall rust. Angry
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic