TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Milodon Gear DRive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:17am
Well,  that does it,

I guess I got screwed over royally by buying a relatively unused gear drive for less than 1/4th the cost of new. Live and learn...

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Well,  that does it,

I guess I got screwed over royally by buying a relatively unused gear drive for less than 1/4th the cost of new. Live and learn...

they are junk. you wasted you $$$$
I'll take it off your hands
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 7:03pm
International Harvester used gear drives on every one of their V8's. Unlike Pete Jackson gear drives, they used helical-cut gears, and no idlers. They weren't particularly noisy, and the recommended engine redlines were 4400-4500 rpm. Many of these engines ran past 200,000 miles with regular maintenance. So just the fact that it's a gear drive isn't the biggest problem. The problem is, these engines were engineered with a gear drive in mind (camshafts are "reverse rotation," compared to chain or belt driven cams, for example), and most passenger engines are not.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 7:55pm
Well, IH didn't use gear drives on the V8 engines that they bought from AMC.. LOL
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Well, IH didn't use gear drives on the V8 engines that they bought from AMC.. LOL

True. 

Which brings us full circle.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:44pm
My first thought is the gear drive setup is for steel billet roller cam with triple valve springs...

...where the double roller chain would be known to be stressed past the rated limit.

I learned this while doing research in order to make a roller timing set for Rambler V8; reading all info I could find about chain drive systems on websites like Morse Chain.

-The way the rollers on a roller chain enter a well designed sprocket is made for smoothness and long lasting durability.

A lot of science goes into designing chains and sprockets for their expected load and rpm.

-makes a stock type link belt look silly by comparison.

Concern for harmonic transmission between the crank and camshaft explains why so many engines came with a nylon toothed upper cam gear.

Straight cut gears are known to be more harsh running than helical cut gears.

(Studebaker V8 design has 'short deck height' with helical cut direct drive cam gears... apparently like the International Harvester blocks)

I've got more to say on this topic but I'm gonna take a break and see if I can find the excellent website having extensive roller chain information...
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:30pm
IIRC, the GM 2.5 Iron-Duke in my '80 Spirit had timing gears and no idler - direct drive from crank to cam ... helical not spur gears.   RPMd higher than the stock AMC 6 cyl or V8.

Timing belt is likely best, but only seen pictures of one or two custom ones on AMC V8s.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:32pm
Video on chain technology 101;

= there's only so much chain that can fit inside the stock timing cover* & when the rated limit is exceeded, a gear drive system may be an option.

*smaller rollers and smaller links actually have higher rpm capability. Therefore to get more strength, multiple rows are added. This makes the chain become wide. Eg: a double roller chain vs a single wide chain.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 9:43pm
Basically chains are 'the opposite' of what a 'newbie' might guess to be 'high performance' -where 'big links' are rated for slower rpm and 'small links' are rated for higher rpm... check out Martin Sprocket charts:
www.martinsprocket.com/.../sprocket-engineering-data---horsepower-ratingsfeccaacbf

-so when a smaller link chain is needed for higher rpms, more rows are added, which increases the width of the chain (and adds more sprockets)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 10:00pm
A roller chain will reduce friction compared to a stock type link belt; the rollers are like wheels that turn as they enter and exit the teeth on a sprocket.

The friction reduction raises engine oil quality -less shearing, less heat input.

The straight cut gears with higher valve spring rates will demand high EP (extreme pressure) quality oils, to prevent excessive wear, potential galling.

Juxtaposed to a helical cut gear set, since there is very little scrubbing action between the teeth of a straight cut gear set, there is reduced mechanical action to draw in lubricating oil -for cooling the contact surfaces where the gears mesh together.

-the calculated scrubbing action of a spinning 'flat tappet lifter' (convex lifter face surface area) upon a cam cut with lobe taper is an excellent example of this lubrication tactic, also a rocker tip scrubbing back and forth on the tip of a valve stem: without the scrubbing action, new cool lubricant would not be drawn into the scrub area, the oil would suffer thermal and molecular breakdown, with galling from metal to metal contact very likely.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/20/2019 at 10:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic