TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Metering Rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metering Rods
    Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 3:16pm
I currently have a 1969 AMX With a 343. It was my fathers and He has replaced the old carter 4663S carb with a Edelbrock . The car was a little sluggish with the carter but ran just fine. With the Edelbrock he was having a bunch of problems so I decided to just rebuild the carter and put it back on as it is what the car came with...

So when I pulled the carter apart I went to Mikes carburetor and we going to purchase a rebuild kit along with new jets and metering rods due to the fact that old rods were starting to wear a grove in the spot where they hit the pistons.

I however found out that my rods were 3 step rods (16-585) and are very hard to find. I was told to switch over to 2 step rods as they run better and are easier to get. However no one seems to know what rods I should use and I like to research these kind of things before I do it.

Does anyone have any idea what size rods i should get?

Primary jet size is .098 Secondary jets are .080

Thanks Much
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 3:39pm
I would personally leave it alone
old dimensions are 

I have never seen the two step ones even close to that, .073/.052 is closest and nowhere near correct. There is a reason the old carters ran so well and the edelbrock clones uh, not so much. Its the calibration

Edited by tsanchez - Sep/30/2014 at 3:45pm
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 4:21pm
Go to The Carburetor Shop LLC

They have all the parts for old AFBs you could ever want, including 3-step metering rods.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 9:42pm
Also check with CarbJunkys.com in Atlanta. They did an outstanding job on the original Carter for my 68 390 AMX and have parts too. I see you're in Pittsburgh. Stay away from the KarbKing there, AMHIK!
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 8:36am
I save all the metering rods out of every junk carter I can find. Jets and squirters too. They fit the Edelbrocks and give very many more options for tuning. Remember that many Buicks and Pontiacs rand AFBs as well as most Mopars. Ugly corroded salt ruined AFBs and AVS are great sources.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

speed1975 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 1:11pm
I have sent a email to the carburetor shop but they seem to be hard to get a hold of. Lets hope that works out.

Thanks all
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by speed1975 speed1975 wrote:

I have sent a email to the carburetor shop but they seem to be hard to get a hold of. Lets hope that works out.

Calling works better. He is old school and talks better than he types.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 4:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic