TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mend waterpump DIY?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 12:31pm
waterpumpman in Michigan did one for me a few months ago and i'm very happy with the service.
AMO Newsletter Editor
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 1:38pm
    Don't heat the shaft, you could damage the seal. Just press it to where it needs to be then trim it.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 2:04pm
 What about threading the center and using redi-rod to be able to push it on further? Then there is no danger of damage to bearings, bushings or moving the shaft. I've never had one apart so just speculating.
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 7:06pm
Ok. My question. I see that the long bolt enters to the left on a early pump and to the right on a later pump. This causes the hose angle to be different between the two pumps. Bolt pattern appears the same so either pump should bolt up. Other difference appears to be the length of the shaft. Is the only functional difference the placement of the hub on the shaft? If so can it be repositioned? Why such an issue? Later pumps are readily available and the early are not. Thoughts?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 5:47am
The only issue with pressing the hub back further on the shaft is possible damage to the impeller. You must have something the size of the shaft to press against, that is stable on the press. A socket will usually do. Get off just a bit and you could damage the impeller. Hard to get the impeller off without breaking it since it's pressed on to -- don't know how a rebuilder does it, must be some special tool?

The hub can be pushed back on the long shaft pump and the shaft cut off. I'd take it to a machine shop along with the old pump so they can measure how far to push the hub back.
Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2017 at 3:09pm
Rock Auto has a GMB for $31.00! That's all Rick Jones uses...

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jul/18/2017 at 3:12pm
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 10:46am
Despite what GMB claims, that pump is incorrect for a 68-71 V8 with the original pulleys and accessories. The belts will be way out of alignment.

Sadly as many here already know, getting a correct water pump for a pre-72 application is difficult. The only company making a new water pump with the correct hub height is Edelbrock (8831). However, this pump is very expensive and doesn't have an OEM appearance.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by akimmet akimmet wrote:

Despite what GMB claims, that pump is incorrect for a 68-71 V8 with the original pulleys and accessories. The belts will be way out of alignment.

Sadly as many here already know, getting a correct water pump for a pre-72 application is difficult. The only company making a new water pump with the correct hub height is Edelbrock (8831). However, this pump is very expensive and doesn't have an OEM appearance.

Well that one and the CARDONE SELECT 5531120 {#PWP402} one the OP listed originally are specific to the 70 Model v8 cars.. they are not cross listed with the later model 70's car or 80's Jeeps. Rick Jones has had to slightly clearance a couple of water pumps from time to time.. .to not rub on the balancer... 
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 5:14pm
I got tired of trying to get the correct early short snout water pump and just bit the bullet for the Edelbrock water pump. It's a nice piece. The GMB is definitely not the correct casting.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 11:10am
If Cardone is building new water pumps with the correct hub height again, that is great news.

However I'm still skeptical when it comes to Cardone. I tried to play this game 3 years ago, and they kept sending pumps with the later hub height, and a later pump casting (that wouldn't work with the earlier hub height). Eventually I got fed up that I lost my core to them, and bought the Edelbrock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic