TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mega Modding Braking, Suspension & Steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2013 at 2:28pm
Lots of work! thanks for posting up your progress.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
Mean Matador 72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mean Matador 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2013 at 5:44pm
More power to you!!!!Coming out very nice and performance should be outstanding.
72MATADOR 401/727, 74 Matador Coupe 360/727
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2013 at 7:44am
Thanks guys!

I'll be adding more to my sections as time goes on.

Also will be adding a Specifications section as well.

Just things are winding down. I send out materials to be welded, so until I have most everything ready, further progress will be on hold.

I still need to have my adapters for the heavy duty tie rods welded, the hood hinges need welded extensions, my camber extensions for the lower arms need cut for welding up, need $150.00 worth of custom spherical bearings ordered, and my hardened steering quick disconnect sleeve needs tapered to fit GM steering shaft.

To me that is not much compared to what has been done in the past few months. I guess it is the feeling of near completion that makes my anticipation seems more like a lack of patience with not having it done by now.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2013 at 7:42am
Spring Compressor DIY

OK, many here and just about everywhere else that has automotive discussions, have had DIY spring compressor topics.

Mine on the other hand is a bit different and whimsical but very effective.

Many do not know that when they look at their suspension, most all the spring compressor parts are looking right back at them.

If you have drum brakes, and don't mind upgrading to disks, then you won't mind following me along.

Here is what you need:

One hub with front bearing and tabbed washer.
Your old shock
3 lug nuts
21" section of 1/2" threaded rod.
1 thick washer that fits the 1/2" rod to cover the wheel bearing's tabbed washer.

An option that I am using, is a heavy flanged nut, instead of using the thick washer along with the bearing's tabbed washer.

Now here is what you need to do:

Remove all the studs from your hub
Cut a 1/3 wedge from your hub's flange having one lug nut hole on the uncut side at the 12 O-clock position.
Install the bearing and washer back on to the hub
Install a lug nut to the threaded bar with rounded end pointing up. Adjust it to have 4 to 5 inches of rod protruding.
Slide the threaded rod into the hub and bearing assembly.
Drill the weld from the bottom of your front shock mounting flange with a 1/2" drill bit.
Install another lug nut on the other end of the threaded rod, with the round end first.
Install the old shocks mounting flange and the remaining lug nut with the rounded end up and tighten to hold the mounting flange in place.

How to use the odd thing:

With the front lifted
Remove shock if not already removed and shock tower
Place the hub over the top of the shock hump, aligning the top wheel stud hole to fit over the stud. The remaining 2 studs should be along the cut sides of the wheel hub.
Install the shock mounting flange to the spring perch
Tighten the lug nut until you notice tension
Remove the spring perch mount fasteners to the upper control arm and let the control arm assembly drop.
Make sure there is no binding for the perch and spring, and loosen the top lug nut from the threaded rod.
Once the tension becomes loose you can remove the spring perch from the old shock mounting flange.
Your spring is free to remove.

Reverse the steps to install.

Now I wonder how many peeps are scratching their heads and thinking... "Gosh I threw away my good spring compressor!" Excuse me, drum spindles and old shocks during a brake upgrade. HA!

Edited by 304-dude - May/17/2017 at 4:57pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2013 at 11:23am
Adding a backbone and ribcage

Note: This is a straight forward visualization of concept. Once I start, the information may need to be edited, as I will probably find some issues to work around as I go.

There is hidden body rigidity hiding in your car... Just open the hood, inside is the foundation to strengthening the engine compartment's weak box structure since the conception of the automobile.

Super bikes and sophisticated race cars have used 4D structural integrity for some time, just we never looked at it in detail to truly understand how well it works with so very little.

Your engine is just a big lump of metal taking up space and creating a lot of force against your car's suspension structure during performance driving. To you as long as it performs well in producing power, that is all that matters.

Adding braces, shock tower struts, and what not, all help relieving body twist. But for the most part their function operates in 2D structural integrity. Some use a modified approach that spreads out the forces within a 3D structure. Even with the best 3D structure improvements, it still relies on how well the box is made.

Reinventing the box:

You can add a back bone to support and strengthen your car's body. Your engine is the best candidate, for such a limited space. To utilize it, it must be well anchored. Since it takes up a sizable space, use of light weight short length struts will be a greater benefit than longer and heavier designs.

All you have to do is think of your engine as the foundation to your bodies rigidity. It is already is quasi-part of the sub-frame, why not make it be the supporting wall of the exoskeleton of the car's body. To do so, one must use solid motor mounts first and foremost.

After some looking into how my steering shaft is routed, I decided to make upper corner engine brackets. Their location is actually better to allow a 45 degree angle to the corner of the firewall near the cowl. Though master cylinder relocation will need some thought. As I will try to make all my angles 45 degrees, as it is a sweet spot to strengthen all types of movement. Also I will be including the two corner head bolts to assist in mounting the custom corner brackets, that also mount to the side of the head's accessory mounting holes. The engine brace will incorporate the upper control arm's inner (closest to firewall) strut, to make a single V-rib unit. Both sides will be that way.

As for completion, another custom bracket will be needed. The top half will bolt to the center section of the intake, and bolt over the center header / exhaust manifold flange, using existing intake and header bolts.

I could weld a strut bracket to the shock tower mount, but I'm opting into making a bracket cup to mount over the hump. It will be mounted using the upper control arm's bolts and the shock tower's fasteners. This will keep the whole area secured, and stabilized with the V-rib and strut assemblies to the engine block.

I will be modifying the suspension's strut brackets as well, to allow mounting of struts to the back of the engine at it's midway point along the bell housing. Bolting on steel plates along the bell housing should work fairly well. Depending on header design, changing to dual 2" collectors to feed 3" collector, will allow clearance for strut pass through.

Having all 4 engine struts work together will keep body flex and twist down to a minimum. As they are at key locations for best rigidity.   

It seems to be a bit of fabrication to make such a thing work. Though I am sure that, as I get further along, things may need some tweaking. Though, it will be less work than fabricating and adding frame connectors, and a sub frame to strengthen the body structure.

Well that is my plan, call it what you will, I am sticking to it.

Pictures will be added as I go... for right now being on hold, the suspension is yet to be completed.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/18/2015 at 6:57am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2014 at 9:36am
Modding Suspension Humps

Below are pictures of the humps I will be modifying. Notice some holes from a past engine swap, which will be filled when welding is done.

Below is the frame section to show how far from the welds I chose to cut. Notice the hole pictured at the right of where the hump would be installed. It is a bit high to be a weep hole but it is there.

I will first adjust the UCA location by bending to open up the top angle, at the shock tower mounting pad, wider by 6°, so that the bottom section of the hump will protrude beyond the cut spot welded mating flanges, so that the UCA location holes are pulled in 1".

I change my plan as I started cutting on the passenger side hump. I think it would be best to cut the top around the shock tower mounting pad and do a full 10° bend before making a stair step bend of -6° to place the UCA at +1", out from stock location.

My first attempt with bending the angles wider to shift the UCA location outward from stock. Note the first picture below... the spother weld section has part of the inner fender protruding away from the cut hump flange. It is another reason why, I am careful not to cut the long flange strips to be bent, and set a side. I will cut for now, and do the final bending, just before I send it out for welding.

Notice the cut mounting flange now touches the UCA reinforcement plate, before it was located at the top edge (a bit high in contrast due to freshly cut steel).

I ground a wee channel so to bend the angel out easierror, since I don't have a pan brake or large vise to keep from distorting the flange during bending. A reinforcement weld along the channel at the bend area will be done.

Here is my option to cut around the shock tower mounting pad... the black ink trace is where I will cut in a pie shape being narrow near the bend. I originally traced for cutting the top for segmentation. Looking at doing a V cut to hide the stair step when cleaned up, is my choice for now.

Here is my vector chart of the changes to the suspension hump design. It is based on a 25° shock and spring tilt, for more engine bay clearances and allows a better scrub radius with wide rims and tires, and yet very compact. I will describe further as I get around to cutting and mounting the segments for welding to be done.

Note, I did not put a vector in for top offset since the spring back plate is now used in the vector chart. There will be a custom spacer plate added to fill the offset opening, since the humps will be cut in two, an inch or two, above the UCA mounting hole locations.

Note... since my suspension is custom, it allows shortening the suspension humps. This cannot be done on OEM suspension geometry and stock upper arm components.

Started on some upper hump customization. I had cut off the top (spring cup section) and removed the upper area to section and graft back on to the lower section. I cut out a small V section to allow slotted fitment to assist in the grafting of the contours of the two cut sections.

Here is what I am starting with.

I will cut slots to assist with slotted fitment to deepen the amount ofor shortening needed before final welding. Once the two are finish welded, I will trim off more from the top, and add the spring cup top.

I may be able to angle the 20° slant without doing anything to the bottom section. If that can be done, I will modify my vector chart for those who may want to try modding theirs for engine bay clearance needs.

Here is fitment after slotting... I am able to get a secure 10° angled fit, but I will be contemplating what I will do further. Since my vector chart on hump modding is just for distances, as for actual cutting and fitment, it's go as you feel what works best.

Just wIth the slotted fit, I now have 10.5" and 10" distances from UCA mounting holes to shock tower mounting face at the top.

I had an idea to try the lower section mod, using a similar tactic. A wee more complex, but it does allow for a possible seamless graft once finished.

The photos are with early fitmet, since I did not have time to work out closer fitment and angles. Rather do small steps than to go too far.

Should have had the top tack welded, as I noticed some bending going on, when trying to secure and bend the bottom cut edgespot and corners.

The bottom, section had a contoured crease already, so I just amplified the contours to allow more angle. I assume I have it pretty close to spot on. Once I get more time, I will start smoothing out the seam areas for better fitment, and measure out things, before moving any further with cuts and bends.

After some minor adjustments with fitting snuggly, I added a few sheet metal screws to secure the bottom sections. The top fit snug enough to stay in place.

The top photo is to show the compound angles and the last 3 are to show close fit to the rounded cut ends. Once the assembly is tack welded, I will remove the flared corners to the bottom section, near each screw.

The second photo is pretty much how short the thing is, and with a pretty accurate 8.5" & 8.0" distances to UCA mounting holes, along with its over all look. After welding, I will trim away some excess near the top for final work to blend the top.

Edited by 304-dude - Oct/19/2019 at 10:11am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2014 at 7:12am
Upgrading sway bar

Since realizing the benefit of Penske / Donohue's relocation of the front sway bar, I had been contemplating the best way to mount a stock or aftermarket sway bar. I noticed one particular issue, that may be too small to make a fuss about... The upper control arm's ball joint not only swings up and away from from its vertical axis. If you look carefully, the control arm's mounting location points are offset, thus allows for a bind with mounting a sway bar to the upper control arm.

The easiest way to correct it properly is to offset by lengthening the sway bar arm just passed center of the ball joint. This way you can use a longer link within the short space. So when the upper arm swings away the link will become more vertical in allowing the distance to lengthen without pulling on the arm and bind. The distance of the link is determined by measuring the offset between both mounting holes for the upper control arm and dividing by 2, then add it to the distance me assured between the mounting pivots at the bracket and sway bar. The bracket can be mounted or welded directly under the control arm where it is centered with the spring perch mounting location.

After looking at a few tie rod ends, the GM tie rods seem best for what I want. They are big balled and thick shafted, yet small enough diameter to use ball joint covers to seal. I picked up two inner rack and pinion tie rods for 2008 XLR - MOOG-EV343 11.92" length 0.593" shaft diameter M14-1.5 end thread M18-1.5 male to the rack, and a couple of M18-1.5 hardened flanged nuts.

Below is the makings of a custom sway bar link, made from inner tie rods and heavy duty axle nuts.  I shortened the rods to 4 inches, and will have the flange nuts welded on a pipe segments for mounting and reinforcement on the bottom of my spring perches.  Once mounted I will measure and trim down the length for welding a 3" long 3/8"-24 bolt to mount the sway bar with existing hardware and bushings like stock.

In the images below, I have utilised a cut segment of axle tubing to be welded to the bottom end of the spring perch. Notice the flanged nut is grounded down to be welded in place for mounting the modified tie rod.

The pictures below have the tie rod segment and flanged axle nut firmly wedged into place for fitment gauging... This is with stock arm and sway bar locations. I offset the tie rod segment to be 1 inch from center, as centering it with a stock setup will make the link too skewed for the sway bar.

Note: The lower picture shows how far the stud is from the sway bar mounting hole. With a stock setup there is no good way to install this type of mod without removing  the ends from the sway bar back enough to thread a link end to allow shortening for the tie rod to fit without binding the sway bar's bushings. Also, some may notice the long fasteners to the upper ball joint. I have them in place for my 1/3" thick spacer for the ball joint if needed when everything is setup. The spacer was to keep the Mustang II spindles from rubbing the upper control arm at full extension (lift) with stock spring perches. Though a simple block installed in the upper arm pocket against the frame will keep the travel from going to far down. It would be a problem if a wheel should leave the ground, as it would lock the steering until the suspension has recovered.

Here are the finished links to move the swaybar to the upper control arm. Note, to fine tune the amount of angle at the link end, for maximizing suspension reaction without bind... you can shim with stacked bushing washers as shown at the top bushing, or use a nut/spacer to adjust.

Here is a finished spring perch, ready for weld clean up and repaint, before poly bushings and hold down pin are installed.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/05/2019 at 12:25pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 7:07pm
71 Javelin spring tower mounted in middle 60's Ambassador:

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 7:16pm
Yeah, I saw that or something like it a month or so after I mentioned relocating for castor. I don't think I had pictures up when I first made the comment.

I will eventually get to having the modded humps done... Halfway there with cutting, then will have them welded for trimming. I won't cut the excess until welded, as it is going to be the measuring point to placing the mounting holes 1" closer to the body.

I got a bit behind because of winter, and a few odds and ends at home.

I guess you can convert any mid 60's to 70's suspension if you are willing to do some work.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2015 at 12:56am
UCA on steroids

Since many of my mods are updated versions from other peoples mods that I found over time, along with a few ideas that are strictly my own... this one is an accumulation of mods already done by others, all in one nice package.

For starters, a GM truck ball joint (k6024 or k6122) will out perform the AMC upper ball joint, as the AMC has horizontal and vertical play, while GM does not.

Below is proper installation of the GM ball joint k6024 (K6122 shown) for stock spindle may need some reaming of the upper ball joint tapered hole, or with using a 7° KPI Mustang II spindle (for stock arm lengths and placement). Depending on spindles used, you may need to adjust pin taper depth to allow proper spacing between the arms. You want 10.5" measured between the top face of the arms, with the ball joint mounted on top of the arm.

For my 10° Mustang II spindle, I am using a heavy duty ball joint (k6122) that has no tapered pin, as most have a taper for a higher angled articulation. There are some physical traits that make it noticeably larger and different. The casing is slightly beefier than most others with the large bolt patern. Currently I have changed up on my ball joint placement. Since I wanted to utilize a deeper pin depth and move the ball joint under the arm, like AMC, I will be modding the arm further with grafting a GM truck style ball joint plate to the AMC arm. Once done it should be as strong as a custom tubular steel arm, since the plate is a component used in some custom arms.

Due to top mounted installation, clearance for Ford spring saddle must be done by some modification to the lower spring pad sections of the saddle.

I flared out the stamped steel material to clear the ball joint body and its fasteners.

There may be need to modify the rear sections in a similar manner as my modified humps my not allow enough tilt for perch angle when spring is compressed during bump travel.

Here is the mod that I am doing to the UCA, since I am setting up my upper ball joint depth to maximum taper depth, it will put the distance between the arms at 10.25" when measuring from the top of the upper ball joint flange to the LCA.

Since I prefer to mount the upper ball joint on the bottom, like AMC... some extra modding needs to be done, and will raise the distance to 10.6" for my maximum of 4.25" drop mods. See images below.

Cutting off the end is required for fitting K6122 and like ball joints

You will nend to cut out the curved wall behind the ball joint for clearance.

To finish the mod, you will need to order large truck GM upper ball joint plates and cut to fit over the top of the AMC arm. Once mounted using fasteners, welding an overlapped seam along the top and bottom mating edges will reinforce and keep the plate in proper alignment to finish off.

Will add the images of the final fitment of the modded plate once done.

Since I am going to try maximizing my mods... I will attempt to make the suspension humps angle at 25°. To see what I will be doing to them, please refer to my modding suspension humps section.

Because of my extreme drop and custom arm angles, I must mod the upper arms to allow a bigger pivot with my 1/2" offset spring perches. To mod, you can cut out the reinforced hole for the saddle to fit inside, and offset it back far enough to allow clearance. Note the picture below... it shows the area I created to work with. I also kept the reinforcing drop off intact. As it seems through initial checking, that I can obtain enough clearance for a 25° pivot with the spring.

Here are the cut sections I removed... the two small sections are for the GM truck ball joint plate graft. I will use them for reinforcement and finishing if needed.

I also will be using a Prothane (1-1207) upper and lower control arm bushing kit in conjuction to my light weight control strengthening arm mods. Many don't do a fully boxed radius, with an extra reinforcing ring for the other side. Below are my additional structural improvements done up with templates before cutting and welding in place.

Here is more images of the UCA mod for my suspension mod, also with GM ball joint plate for my truck ball joint for fitment under the arm, like AMC.

Note, the perch pivot is beyond the 15 degrees limit, so when viewing the images, you will see the sway bar mod seat being blocked by unfinished pocket wall to the UCA.

The offset cut out will be offset seem welded at the back, to allow clearance for pivot with Mustang spring perch. The picture has the perch pinching the cut section into place for picture taking.

I will use a section removed from the cut piece I removed at the back to allow offset, to close up the gap at the back. Oncenter every thing is tack wended into place, I will fill in missing areas with left over cut sections, and have double sided welding done to fill any gaps.

Edited by 304-dude - Oct/25/2019 at 11:13am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic