TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mechanical Fuel Pump/ '62 Rambler Classic Wagon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mechanical Fuel Pump/ '62 Rambler Classic Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical Fuel Pump/ '62 Rambler Classic Wagon
    Posted: Dec/16/2018 at 4:08pm
Afternoon Gentlemen,

The resurrection of my Rambler continues. Had her up and running and finally got out to the DMV to get her street legal and back cruising the coast...then she decided not to start again. Traced it back to the fuel pump. Took it apart the other day and it appears as though the interior check valve busted on one side. My issue now is to:

A. find a rebuild kit and fix myself
B. ship it out and have it rebuilt
C. buy a new fuel pump

I'm relying on your infinite wisdom to steer me to the most wise, logical, and cost effective solution. Attached are pictures of what I discovered when I opened the pump up, as well as the only identification tags/ numbers I found on it. The words "WELLS CAPAC" are printed on one of the interior valve covers, with W-1043 stamped on the interior. On the exterior, there was an aluminum badge that said CAPAC 614 on it. I've done some searching online and nothing turns up hence me bothering you fine people :) 
Thank you for any insight/ help you can throw my way. Cheers!

UPDATE: Just saw that the pictures didn't post correctly. If you would like them let me know and I can email over, or if someone knows how I can post them on here properly that would work too, thanks!

Edited by iggy - Dec/16/2018 at 4:16pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 9:26am
Then and Now Automotive (google it) has the rebuild kit for that pump. Contact them with the (presumably Carter) pump number to confirm that or just send them the pump and let them rebuild it.  The diaphragm in the new kit will be suitable for use with ethanol-laced fuel.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
iggy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 1:12pm
Pacerman thank you so much! 

I gave American Parts Depot a ring and they couldn't help me out, hoping Then and Now will be the answer. Happy Holidays to you sir!

Best,
Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic