TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

McLeod clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McLeod clutch
    Posted: Jan/16/2016 at 8:11pm
http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/rst-clutch-pns-30667.html
Has anyone had experience with dual organic clutch!! Looks awesome to me. I have heard that the clutch has been used in pantaras!!😎
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 11:34am
Is this a follow up to your post in the drag section on best organic clutch?   If it's a serious drag application, follow Hurst390's recommendation to get a slipper-type race clutch. If you like McLeod, look at their Soft-Lok kit. 

The twin organic clutches are fine for street, autocross and occasional drag (if you don't power shift) if you're at the power level of needing one and don't want the chatter or harshness of some of the single disc non-organic clutches. 

I'm running an original Street Twin which included a custom drilled flywheel with mounts and standoffs for the floater plate and pressure plate.   It has twin 10.5" organic discs and I went with the aluminum flywheel (faster revs, less shock) and their hybrid borg&beck long PP for more consistent higher rpm shifts.  The discs have a marcel carrier but solid hub, so limited ability to absorb shock or harmonics. 

It revs quick, doesn't slip, pedal effort is good, but it's too much clutch for serious strip use.   Expect would break things with slicks and power shifting (there is such a thing as too much clutch). 

The advantage of the RST or RXT Street Twins is they work with a standard flywheel and they offer different disc diameters to better match your power level. Most kits come with a diaphragm PP, but could likely custom order with a different PP if wanted. 

Hope this helps, RD. 
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 12:44pm
We have a 1969 AMX we are not tubbing it . We are replacing the rear end Chrysler eight in three-quarter inch basic rollbar T10 transmission 401 10.8 comp pump gas . In my pick up we have ran ceramic and iron clutches complete waste of money .
Was hoping for a strong single disc organic but our horsepower probably will not allow that. At sea level we should be at least 600 horse and a 200 2 phase nitrous. Spoke to salesman at McLeod he told me the RST will shift at 8000 RPM . Hard to say but the guy probably drives a Honda accord lol
The car will mostly be on the street picking on fords Chevys and whatever else wants to play.
Thanks for the information.
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 1:31pm
The hybred borg&beck. Is that lighter then a diaphragm or more holding pressure?
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 3904speed 3904speed wrote:

The hybred borg&beck. Is that lighter then a diaphragm or more holding pressure?

Benefits of a Long style with smoother engagement, adjustable pressures and centrifugal but in a smaller B&B package that is easier to fit.
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 4:36pm
Have been out of the hot Rod seen for sometime! We used to just add more pressure to organics and live with the consequences! Thank you very much I'm always eager to learn about this new technology !!
Class guy do you use a twin clutch organic ? Or do you have a suggestion for a single clutch !
Thanks everyone
Godspeed
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 5:10pm
I have run all combinations of stuff, but I don't claim to be an expert. I can tell you what I have used that worked though, if that helps. What is the intended purpose? Street-strip is the hardest to spec. Dual disc setups work well because you can get the holding power of the extra friction surface without having to use so much pressure.
3904speed View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3904speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 5:31pm
I like the idea of being able to adjust the pressure that way you're not stuck with a diaphragm! If you do end up taking the clutch out you may be able to replace the disk and keep the pressure plate maybe turn it up a little.
Rd: how heavy is the car that you are running this Street twin ?
I am thinking my week link will be the T10 !
RST or street twin Hummmm?
Thanks Godspeed
JodysTransmissions View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodysTransmissions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 7:22pm
The McLeod Soft-Loc is not recommended for the street.

A McLeod diaphragm single disc pressure plate static rating is 2400 lbs.

The McLeod Twin disc RST and RXT pressure plate static rating is 1900 lbs.

RST = street tires only 800HP
RXT = street tires and drag radials 1000HP
RXT-HD = street tires and drag radials 1200HP (this is a new clutch)

The RST and RXT twin discs 9-9/16" will out shift the "original street twin disc" 10.5" due to the smaller diameter discs.

The Twin disc clutches are great for troubled knees, that most are experiencing in our mature years!
JodysTransmissions View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodysTransmissions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by 3904speed 3904speed wrote:

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/rst-clutch-pns-30667.html
Has anyone had experience with dual organic clutch!! Looks awesome to me. I have heard that the clutch has been used in pantaras!!😎

This is a street tire only clutch.

This twin is a street and drag radial tire clutch: http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/rxt-clutch-pns-30671.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic