TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

McKenzie Pontiac-GMC, Inc. - Omaha, NE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tloftus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McKenzie Pontiac-GMC, Inc. - Omaha, NE
    Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 9:55am
Got an interesting one -- I bought a 1978 AMC AMX a couple of weeks ago that had the original window sticker and a bunch of other paper work.  It appears that this AMX was purchased from a Pontiac / GMC dealer called McKenzie Pontiac-GMC, Inc. in Omaha, NE.

Anyway, I didn't see any reference to them being an AMC dealer anywhere online so maybe this makes a rare car even more rare!

Tom
1966 AMC Rambler American Rogue - 232 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1966-amc-american-rogue_topic20995.html

1978 AMC AMX - 258 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1978-amc-amx_topic62333.html
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 5:59pm
Omaha here, and I am very familiar with McKenzie Pontiac. Google the address and you can see the building as it is today. 1978 there was a lot of dealership consolidation. I am not sure but I think McKenzie purchased the stand alone Jeep dealer, Ratiners that was sold around 1978. After this we only had Metro AMC and a Chrysler dealer that had a Jeep franchise

Pretty cool
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2014 at 5:35pm
GM encouraged there Buick and Pontiac dealers to take on an AMC dealership also. There were 2 reasons , one the federal government was thinking of breaking up GM as it had well over 50% of the US car market at one time. If AMC had gone under then Government would been looked more closely at breaking GM up into at least two car companies. This was just after MA Bell was broken up into the regional baby bells. So, GM wanted to keep AMC in business , and helped AMC with parts and emission equipment. Secondly the Buick dealers and to a certain extent the Pontiac dealers did not have trucks to sell in some case at that time. A few had GMC and that was more common with the Pontiac dealers , as GMC had for a time used Pontiac engines.So, more common was a Buick AMC Jeep dealership as Buick at that time had no trucks and the Jeeps filled a hole and keep AMC in business. LRDaum
LRDaum
tloftus View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tloftus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 11:00am
Very interesting stuff..Thanks for the information!

Tom
1966 AMC Rambler American Rogue - 232 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1966-amc-american-rogue_topic20995.html

1978 AMC AMX - 258 I6
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1978-amc-amx_topic62333.html
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 8:34pm
Interesting, just posted a thread looking for info on South Rambler where my car came from. Was told they were bought by McKensie.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic