TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Maximum rear wheel n tire size on 74 Matador Coupe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Maximum rear wheel n tire size on 74 Matador Coupe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scipii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 12:14pm
What rim offset, backspace, brand, hub size do you all use/recommend for front and then the rear as the maximum width with full steering and no rubbing?

Sorry, new here.
I appreciate this thread so much!
Scipii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scipii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by g-man g-man wrote:

While I can not tell you the maximum size that you can fit back there, I can tell you that on my '74 which was dropped 3inches, I had 275/60-15s on the 15x7 rallye wheels...and there was gobs of clearance.
Could have gone much bigger.

Remember that this car was 3inches lower than stock height. (For turning left and right...NOT a low rider Thank You very much!!

g-man
no

What rims, backspace, etc did you have?
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Scipii Scipii wrote:

no

What rims, backspace, etc did you have?

I had factory '71-'74 8-slot Rallyes in the back.
I am sorry, but in the front, I was running 14" rallyes...so the fronts were limited by the rim size.

g-man

PS, Not sure what you meant by "no"?
AMC only daily driver
Scipii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scipii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 2:23pm
Noway!!!
Monsterous!!!!*
Sorry phone cutoff most of it.

I have 14" on the front 215/75/14 to be exact; too narrow for my taste.
Anyone on here really experiment with the max width possible without loosing the steering capacity?
Scipii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scipii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2018 at 10:46pm
What's the center bore the wheels should be to properly fit and do you gentlemen believe 15x10 rims will fit on back?
What about the front? Would 15x10 also fit on front?
In process of trying to do a have nascar/mad max x-pipe setup.
pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 6:55am
I had a coupe with 275/60-15 on factory slots years ago. B/S is the key to go wider as most AMC factory wheels are 4.5 BS due to leaf springs but coil spring cars can go deeper. I have M&H N50-15 (325/50 equivalent) on 15 x 10 draglites on my 72 Hardtop using 5.5 BS

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 7:05am
Very nice.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Scipii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scipii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:33am
Center bore size?
What should I go for?
pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:32am
Bore size has never been a factor for me using 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. If you go with 5.5 BS your off the shelf wheel choices will be limited. Weld has the most styles and selection IMO for this application
Scipii View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scipii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 10:48am
Would 83mm bore fit nice and snug?

Also; what's the widest for the front?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic