TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Matador Coupe Lemons Racer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 7:33am
The fuel pump is getting removed and an electric unit will be used.
The rear may come out since it will be easiest to do all the suspension bushings and axle seals. I figured I had an extra posi unit sitting in the garage, but I definitely understand your logic. I'll just go thur another peg leg unit I have lying around and install it.

It really is rather impressive that an engine that had not used been since 1995 ran so well. On the second day many of the drivers commented on have fast this thing could travel and were amazed when we showed them the engine and all it's original parts, right down to the untouched 2v carb and factory air cleaner!

bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 7:46am
Yes, there is a limit.  I bought the car for 300 and sold a bunch of parts for 650.
There is no spending limit on safety equipment/parts.  Roll cages, seats, braking systems-within reason   (you can't get away with full on aftermarket stuff) pad/shoe compound, later systems for other vehicles and such.

Craigslist is the place for the bargains.  I picked up a Derale 16 row transmission cooler with a 650cfm fan for $65. Another $35 scored a massive radiator fan with built in adjustable thermo switch.

At the end of the race you may plead your case to the Judges regarding items that may cost more, but will provide longevity, safety and generally a better car for the overall LeMons Racing Series.

This is a highly subjective group and their whims are law, but they absolutely want odd ball classic piles of crud to race.  If you show up in Miata or BMW you get penalized with laps and such. 

The best way to describe it is Road Racing, Halloween and Mardi Gras rolled into one event.

tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 12:02pm
I watch these on youtube all the time. Looks like great fun. Would like to see one in person one day. Used to run a modified dirt car years ago and may have the itch to do this as well someday.
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 4:06pm
Very cool!!! We need pictures!

If you're interested in some leaking fuel pump reading: http://theamcforum.com/forum/fuel-pumps-wth_topic80356.html
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 8:07pm
This fuel pump is the original 1975 unit installed by AMC. Can't complain about it's issues after sitting dormant since 1995 then being for to run for hours at a time. 

Once I'm done with some obligations this weekend I'll post photos.
Be warned, they aren't pretty!!!Ouch
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 6:32pm
Check out Roadkill. They loved this hideous Matador!!!
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 6:46pm
http://www.roadkill.com/24-hours-lemons-1975-amc-matador-x-wins-first-spec-land-yacht-trophy/

The only modification you need to make before the next race is flipping the air cleaner lid. That's always good for 25 HP. Clean the rust off the top of the lid before flipping!
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 6:59pm
Had enough trouble keeping the team members under control.  After the 1 Millionth time telling them,
"We are running 1975 organic brake material, SO just drive gently and rack up laps"  First guy guy out comes in telling me "I got it up to 80" Even taking into account a 30 MPH discount, all day long at 50 to 10 to 50 to 10- guess what they blew out wheel cylinders and calipers, ate up pads and shoes and chewed the heck out the rotors.
Just bought new ones at 100 a piece.  Frigg'n BMW rotors made by Brembo are only 35 each!!

We are going to hit the track again in Feb.
Prafeston View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prafeston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2016 at 1:36pm
Congrats on the win I saw the post from Roadkill! So cool!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
InlineEric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlineEric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2016 at 9:51pm
Congrats on the win... I'm only 3 hours away from that track and really wanted to make it and watch a race in person, as I plan on building a car next year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic