TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Matador Coupe Lemons Racer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 6:02pm
Thanks Chris for the ideas/input.  I
f you are semi-serious about Lemons Racing then you may have heard of Speedy Cop and the Gang of Outlaws.  I help build his cars, but don't often attend the races.  
There is going to be zero shifting, the guys I have on my team are infamous for blowing things up. I refuse to let them destroy stuff just because they are clueless.
The field is going to packed, at least 100 plus entrants.  It will be a s##&Show as it always is for the first day. By the end of the day half the cars will be dead.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 7:27am
So did you get the car ready in time? If so, how did it go? 
Frank Swygert
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 8:27am
X's 2...????
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 8:54pm
Crazy amount of work, but we made it.  Just got home today, about an hour ago.
The car ran great, when the brand new replacement parts didn't crap out!!!!

The solenoid was damaged when one of the team members over tightened the connectors, causing the contacts to weld themselves into a constant open position. Each time you turned on the kill switch the car tried to start.  We got the sorted.

We developed a cracked windshield on the drives side and had to remove it and install a wire protective screen.

The team had three very "green" drivers and they worn out the brakes like mad. They misdiagnosed the braking problems and fixed a good wheel cylinder.  In short, ever couple hours I worked on the brakes.

The radiator required repairs at the end of the first day.  It blew two seams at the top and bottom tanks. Some epoxy goop fixed the problems.  We didn't even let it cure fully, but it seemed to have held up.

The engine developed a oil leak from the fuel pump "weep" hole. but a screw and sealant cured that.

We ran one set of Douglas Extreme All Season tires, 215/70/15 for the entire race.

In short, the engine was run untouched except for new gaskets, excluding the head gaskets.  
The transmission and torque convertor were rebuilt to put up the abuse.  
The rear was untouched. The suspension received new front bushings and shocks. The steering components were replaced. All new brakes and brake lines.  New front wheel bearings. A new water pump.  The rear end was box stock with all the original parts except for some previous owner install air shocks from at least 1995.  They still held air for a day at a time.  The 2v carb was untouched.

We ran 5 1/2 hours out of 8 on the first day and 6 out of 7 on the second day.

At the end we won the Inaugural Spec Land Yacht class, which was our goal.  Absolutely everyone loved the car and this was the closest to the original 500 dollar car concept there.  

We are going to prep the car for the Feb. race in at Barber, AL track.  

Time to get real race compound brake pads and shoes.  A posi rear. Lower the car. Install the bigger sway bars, etc...

Photos of the build to posted soon.

It was a lot of work in one months time, but it was a great time!!

Edited by bbgjc - Oct/10/2016 at 8:59pm
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2016 at 9:11pm
Sounds like a BLAST!!
Congrats on the prestigious win!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2016 at 4:26pm
Sounds like a lot of fun ! Can't wait to see some pictures!Cool
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2016 at 5:07pm
Definitely cool! It's hard on those old cars, but pretty cool to see one being driven like an actual car, not garage kept and trailered all the time.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2016 at 6:20am
This thing is definitely not a trailer queen. Well, you do need a trailer to get it to the track since there is no way it would ever pass and safety inspection in any country.Big smileWinkLOL.

If my drivers had listened to me and drove it it accordingly it would have done much better.  One of the drivers came into the pit with nothing but metal on metal for front brakes.  How ninth heck can you not feel and hear this is beyond my ability to explain.  We'll get it sorted.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 6:03am
"The engine developed a oil leak from the fuel pump "weep" hole. but a screw and sealant cured that."

Well, you need to change the pump. You are probably getting gas in the oil now.

I'd delay on the posi rear. I doubt a limited slip would help much, unless you have enough power to burn out every time you hit the gas hard. Otherwise it's a waste of money that could be used better elsewhere. Really only good for drag racing, won't help handling a bit. It can also increase the potential to spin out, especially with an inexperienced crew. The rear will slide much easier with both wheels spinning and not getting traction, whereas if only one is spinning the other is keeping the car from sliding sideways so fast.
Frank Swygert
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2016 at 7:24am
ummm, isn't there a money limit on the lemons cars?

67 american 290/4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic