TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Matador Coupe Lemons Racer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matador Coupe Lemons Racer
    Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 7:08pm
It's official!!  Building a 75 Matador Coupe for the up coming Lemons Race.
Here's the quick low down.
When:  October 8th and 9th 2016.
Where: Gingerman Raceway; South Haven, MI
Why: Why not?!?!.
Vehicle: A seriously rusted out 75 Matador Coupe from the humid, dirty farm area of NJ. Last on the road in 1994.  360 2v auto.  

Plans:  Entering the latest category in Lemons Racing.  The Land Yacht Class.  Besides the NORMAL specifications for Lemons Racing, the car must weigh a minimum of 3500 lbs(from the factory). Got that covered.  

So, knowing the gommers that are going to drive this thing I've invested in a reverse lock out shifter-(because they think they can drive and would definitely slam this thing into reverse while driving forward.

I stripped the car earlier, now everything needs to be rebuilt, replaced or structurally improved.

I'm going to run bone stock AMC stuff for as long as it holds out. Then, improved AMC stuff until that may give out. Then more AMC stuff, if needed.

No tricked out stuff(except the 727 valve body- to save EVERYONE the headache of an explode transmission)

Got a pile of work and a month to do it.  Can it be done?  heck YES!!!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 7:47pm
Awesome!  Please post photos when you can!!
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 8:05pm
needs an appropriately obnoxious paint job...

maybe a variation on the pink pig theme...
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2016 at 8:08pm
ladies and gentlemen... the pink pig...

Image result for pink pig porsche

No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2016 at 6:04am
No plans on any paint job. For the first race it will be sporting it's faded maroon paint job, complete with algae, moss and lichen growing on it. And lets not forget the rust.  

I'll get some photos and try to figure out posting them. I've had terrible luck posting photos(but that is definitely user error. Hopefully I can bet smarter than a fifth grader and get this accomplished).

This darn thing is going to cost more than my ground restoration of my AMX!!!WinkBig smileLOL
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 12:59pm
I use https://postimage.org/ for photo hosting.

Just copy and pasted the URL from the 7th line down, "Hotlinks for forum"

It's very easy to use and always works.

Tom
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2016 at 5:33am
Haven't had a chance to get photos yet.  Will probably get the serious work started next week.
It will be amusing.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2016 at 5:05am
cool
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 7:10pm
Been completely swamped and today I finally got to drag the Matador Coupe from it's resting place.

Trying to get it moving and stopping under it's own power by Weds.,so I can drop it off in Richmond, VA to get the roll cage done while I'm on vacation.
Sending a few sets of new pads to Porterfield to race compound pads made.
Have the following all sussed out
great big 4 core aluminum radiator with thermo controlled fans all set.  
Derale double row transmission cooler with fan all set.
22 gallon ATL fuel cell.
Few spare 360's. 

Was going to run the stock 727 until is gives up the ghost, but decided I really don't want to fix anything major at the track. (My team mates aren't mechanically inclined at allConfusedWink).
So, I'll pull spare out and stripe it down and make it bullet proof.  Already have a reverse pattern, reverse lock out valve body(so those same team mates don't slap it into reverse while traveling forward.)  Contemplating welding a bracket on there and once they are in "Drive" slapping a padlock on it!
B&M or Hurst shifter, can't recall.
Kirkby road racing seat all set.
Crap load of suspension parts all set.

Now, just have to scrap off all the crud and rust and install all this stuff.
I'll try to get photos up over vacation.

I can't believe how light these cars are when strip the interiors, glass and sound deadening out of them.  The front sits so high it looks like the engine is missing.  Have to fix that.

Any suggestions what stall I should run on this thing.  I was leaving towards 2400 to 2800.  Any thoughts on who has the best one out there.  Or just one built.  I have access to a guy that can build anything you want.
I'm a manual transmission type of guy, so I've never messed with all the combinations available.

iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2016 at 1:17pm
I have run the Lemons race a few times. I would recomend just leaving it in drive, the name of the game is staying on track as long as possible. build the motor stock (More durable). tune the dung out of it for fuel econmy Use a wide band o2 sensor to tune it, this is where a holley four barrel will come in handy for ease of tuning. When you track test the car don't be afraid to run it out of gas to see where the limit is. and document it so you can get the most laps out of it. (you can run it to the edge of the limit due to yellow flags).     Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic