TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

matador circle track car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twoslowinwyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: matador circle track car
    Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 12:37pm
hi everyone! as the subject suggests i plan on building a 74 matador to race. since this will be my first AMC build,( except for eagles) i could use all the help i can get. i would probaly be running in the super stock class at colorado national speedway and big country speedway (WY) has anyone out there built a matador for circle track? i know one weak link is the rear, i am looking to possibly install a ford 9in. if the rules will allow it. also with the wheelbase of the matador i can run the 401 motor. does anyone know of a good automotive machine shop in the denver area that does good work on AMC's? i will be starting to strip out the car soon so if anyone needs anything just let me know, free, just pay shipping. well i gotta get back to work before the boss starts yellin' thanks in advance, LAZ
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 1:15pm
For the engine I would contact Colorado AMC.  They might do an engine for you and their quality in workmanship can't be beat.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 2:18pm
Invest in a suspension school or read all you can about setup. That's where races are won. If you want to be fast it has to turn and recover for the exit. Smooth is fast.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 5:00pm
Would you be interested in one that's already built?

I can put you in touch with the owner, he might sell it to you.

-Steve-

70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 5:38pm
That would be a shame to smash up that body on a Circle Track. It's a cool road course car. I wish I had the $$$, I'd be all over it.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 7:41pm
What would it take ($) to separate that from its dusty death?
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

That would be a shame to smash up that body on a Circle Track. It's a cool road course car. I wish I had the $$$, I'd be all over it.

Couldn't agree more.  This could be a nifty vintage car.  Given that all the sheetmetal is made of unobtainium, committing one to circle track duty, is well.....to each his own.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

twoslowinwyo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twoslowinwyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2014 at 5:06pm
thanks for all the replys, i certinaly agree with not wanting to mess this car up. i thought long and hard about this very thing. i would MUCH rather race with a vintage group but just can't find any within a days haul. or what i just (probably) will do is re-create bobby allisions 74 winston cup car take it to a few shows and do some hot lapping at the local track. or was it still grand national back then? i did find the - western nebraska vintage stock car assn. but they only allow 72 or eariler. i will try to contact them to see if they will let me play with them. if anyone knows of a vintage club please let me know, thanks again, LAZ 
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2014 at 7:08pm
Something like this?  My sons car.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
twoslowinwyo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twoslowinwyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2014 at 11:36pm
EXACTLY!!!!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic