TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

master cylinder interchange

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 1:59pm
A later model MC will bolt on if you don't have power brakes. You will need to change one or two of the brake lines where they go into the MC. Back up in this post -- I think I mention about when the left and right side outlets changed. The brake line for the front is easy to change -- take it loose from the T then run a new line up to the MC. Even that may need an adapter. You can usually find a brass adapter for the rear brake line without changing it. 
Frank Swygert
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 4:42pm
I was blown away when I went to the parts store here in town, and they had a master cyl and wheel cylinders I needed for my '59 American IN STOCK!  (I am talking the REAL parts store, not a "McParts" chain store where seat covers and air fresheners are the specialty).

I had asked for them at the counter and they couldn't find anything on them in the system.

I had recently went there for a "dealer show" where the manufacturer reps were there and the Federal Mogul rep gave me this url to their search site. http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx#passengercar

I went and found the parts, got the numebrs and went back to the store and they had them in stock! 

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by 62ramblin 62ramblin wrote:

I need a MC for 62 rambler any ideas out there

I don't know what model you have but I went to this link http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx#passengercar and found that there were a few available for the '62, go check them out. Then take that part number into the store that handles that line and you may have one in your hand easier than you may think! 

http://www.fme-cat.com/Application.aspx#passengercar

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 8:17am
I see some vehicles on that list that should be a dual cylinder. I'm new here can anyone point me to  any articles on upgrading to 10 inch brakes or other bolt ons?  I don't want to cut the car other then maybe enlarge a hole or something simple. 

Thanks
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 6:58am
Ron, any front AMC brakes from 1952-83 will interchange, but you may need the spindle as well as wider brakes sometimes used a taller spindle (if not much difference the backing plate may be recessed a bit more).  Best to change spindle also.  The only difference in the rear is the backing plate to allow for wider drums. Pretty much any AMC 15 brakes will interchange with other AMC 15 rear axles, and AMC 20 will interchange. I don't think they will interchange between axles.

You don't usually want to upgrade the rear brakes when you upgrade the fronts though. Larger front brakes will "unload" the rear rakes faster, so larger rear brakes may lock sooner. The only time larger rear brakes really help is with a tow or heavily loaded vehicle that will have more weight in the rear.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 11:14am
I changed from 9" to 10" brakes and changed the spindles too which I had, but the same could be achieved by using about a 3/16" plate behind the spindle. Without it the tire (or rim?) will rub a bit.

After the fronts I also changed the rear to 10". Can't say I remember a difference except that in a full panic stop the rears locked up a bit before the fronts. The whole system came off one car so should still be factory normal. Taxis (heavy use) and cars for normal use show a different brake cylinder bore diameter for the rears. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 11:27am
At least for the rears the backing plate bolt patterns change. Possibly most AMC 15's have the tighter pattern and 20's have the wider but I have one 20 with 9" brakes that has the tighter pattern and a 20 with 10" with the wider. I've also read that the AMC 15's with the narrower bolt pattern can have both 9" and 10" backing plates.

Just to summarize, before grabbing 10" backing plates and brakes, make sure the backing plate will bolt up to the axle tubes. 
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2015 at 7:35pm
Reopening this old thread.
Problem - Jim Rea (bless his soul) set me up with original AMC dual booster and 1-1/8" bore master cylinder as I have put a Ford 8.8 disk rear in my 69 Javelin (he stated I needed the volume for the rear disks and also an adjustable pressure regulator). Sent everything off for rebuild as a unit and got back all the wrong parts.
Have ordered and installed a booster that fits but three attempts at finding and ordering that 1-1/8" master cylinder have failed. Jim stated it was an Ambassador MS but all have been 3.4 or larger bolt centers. The 69 booster is 3.2 bolt centers like a Ford.
Anyone have an idea of what master cylinder I should be looking for?
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2015 at 8:25pm
This week I obtained a 61 Classic that will be donating both front and rear brakes.  I think I asked earlier, will putting the wider shoes on the front or back move the wheels out that extra distance? I can take the spindles complete for the front and I'll pull the axles and steal the rear brakes too.

I hate to scrap these body parts I don't need.  Someone should need some spare parts for possible future use.

Another question, in stead of adding power, could I drop down to a 7/8 MC instead of the stock 1 inch model?

Thanks as usual. 

RonEmbarrassed
Ron Francis
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2015 at 6:38am
1. The wider brakes MAY move the wheels out some. The backing plate has some more recess to it in some cases, such as for the rear brakes, not positive on the front. The spindle may have a bit thicker base with the wider brakes to handle the offset of the backing plate, but I think no more than half the difference of the thicker brakes (brakes 1/2" wider, spindle base no more than 1/4" thicker... but I seem to recall it's more like 1/8" thicker). I put 64 Classic brakes on my 61 American, but that was back in 79 or 80! I don't remember any difference. They bolted up and I was running G78 tires (8" wide) with no problems.

2. Decreasing the bore increases pressure to the brakes, but reduces volume slightly. It does decrease needed leg force some. My advice is to try a 7/8", but check it thoroughly in a safe area before going out on the street. The pedal should go down a little further, but after the system is bled I think you'll be okay. Can't say for sure -- the wheel cylinder on the big cars are a bit bigger and need a little more fluid, but AMC used a 1" bore for small and big cars. You'll just have to try it, just do so safely.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic