TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Marlin T35 Only Has Reverse Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Felginator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin T35 Only Has Reverse Gear
    Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 5:21pm
I just picked up a 65 Marlin with a 232 and T35 auto. I am working on going through some issues from it sitting. I got it running but I only have reverse gear. The shift into reverse is a fairly hard engagement. When I put it into D1 or D2 I do get some noise (louder hum) from the trans with no movement. Fluid level seems OK and does not look dirty. Putting it in L has no forward movement also.

I figured I will need to at least drop the pan to inspect the valve body but figured I would ask to see if this is a common issue or if there and any quick ideas I can try before pulling the trans.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:08pm
The service manual has a pretty good list of fault symptoms and repair instructions. I advise you to get one. I corrected a similar problem by properly adjusting the bands.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 6:52am
Pull the valve body an thoroughly clean! I'd strip it an take it to a local rebuilder to have it boiled out, or have them rebuild the VB. I'm convinced it's a VB issue -- sticking valves or clogged passages. You need a TSM to rebuild the VB. You can take it out easy enough, but when you separate the halves at least on check ball the size of a BB will fall out. Need to not lose it and know where to put it back in.

This is the first thing I do with an auto trans that has sat a long time and doesn't work properly. Not hard to do since you need to change the fluid and drop the pan to clean the pickup screen (no filter, just a fine mesh stainless steel screen) anyway. You might want to get a seal kit from Northwest Transmission Parts and replace the shifter shaft seal and the servo seals while you're in there -- all easy to replace once the pan is off. Adjust the bands too... rear one is hard to do with trans in car, but can be done. You will have to make up an extension from a box end wrench, sacrificing a cheap box end, but that's it.
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 5:17pm
Back in 2007 I worked on the E4OD transmission line at Jasper Engines and Transmissions (JET). I tore down transmission cores and put steels and drums in what looked like a modified dishwasher. I tore down pumps. I tore down, cleaned, and reassembled valve bodies (which were pressure tested at another station on the line).

The slickest "tool" we had for cleaning valve bodies was what appeared to be a modified sandblasting cabinet. But instead of sand, it had a high pressure water nozzle, just like the wand at your local car wash. It got rid of the tiniest specs of carbon, crud and corruption in the valve body. If I had my own trans shop, I'd build my own. Probably not practical for a single tranny, but if you do a lot of trans work, I'd advise looking into it.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 6:07pm
This might come in handy for you Felginator: TSM for the Borg&Warner M35.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 6:12pm
On one that I took apart there was a broken bolt which IIRC was the adjusting bolt to one of the servos and the servo plate with the O-ring around it had cocked over sideways. I think if they get way too loose on that adjustment it could happen quite easily. That may not be too hard to see with the pan off. 

Edited by vinny - Jan/23/2018 at 6:26pm
Felginator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Felginator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 10:04pm
Thank you everyone.

I will try to drop the pan this weekend and see what I find. I dug out my factory service manual from storage and have that now as well. 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2018 at 7:00am
That on-line BW manual may be better than the TSM. Starting on page 22 you can see how a sticking valve can be the issue. There are 8 valves, only one operated by the shift lever (MAN), another by the TV cable (THR). The other six depend on oil pressure directed from those two valves and the governor. The governor is easily removed and cleaned, but there are passages inside the shaft that could be clogged... but that shouldn't keep it from operating in forward gears.

The valve body is broke down on page 34. One more thing -- see all the little tubes (31-34) in the VB? If one or more of them are loose (as in out of the VB) oil won't get directed properly to the band servos. Tube 46 is only used when an external oil cooler is used. AMC never used an oil cooler with the M35 to the best of my knowledge, just the 36 and 37 (optional on those). The case has to be drilled for an oil cooler as well. There is a boss in the right location on the M35 (as used by AMC), but I've never seen one with it. Should be possible, but TomJ has proven the air cooling works fine even towing loads in Death Valley...
Frank Swygert
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 9:41am
I have a t 35 that was working I’m changing to m11
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic