TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manual Vs. Power Steering in a 69 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

Drum brakes don't lock up just because they're drum brakes,  domestic car makers didn't start putting devices that modulated brake pressure to the rear brakes till sometimes in the 70's.  Without that disc brakes are just as capable of locking up the rear brakes , even more so, than drums.
  Then they developed ABS, which detects the onset of brake lock-up, and eases the pressure to that wheel.

In racing I don't have ABS, but I am able to adjust the front and rear brake bias.  And after years of racing I have the ability to quick brake without locking the wheels, but there are some situations that call for turning the car sideways and locking up all 4 wheels.

As for car seats in older cars,  car seats wear out just like a living room couch can.   The seats weren't as bad when the cars were new, or my butt wasn't as particular then as it is now.
Im not talking ABS.   Ive had older cars with disc brakes. and they do not lock up as easily as drums do.  Disc brakes are somewhat easier to control, and Im talking panic stops.   Ive probably had over 100 cars.  4 wheel drum, front disc rear drum and 4 wheel disc.  Ive had all of them.   In the case of the Nova bench seat, it was terrible. and that was back in 1987.  and that same car had 4 wheel drums and it didnt stop very well.     I myself prefer no ABS.  certain times can control by locking brakes or control on how you want to use the brakes.....
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2017 at 1:14pm
Gotten a lot of feedback and opinions.  Thanks for the information.  After all the sage wisdom, I'm sticking with my manual steering (rebuilding the Saginaw box) with a new rag joint and sticking with my upgraded manual disc brakes (Wilwood kit on front and 8.8 in the rear).

I appreciate all the input. 
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2017 at 2:37am
What can I say?

I know what I like and I don't care what other people think of it.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic