TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Manual Vs. Power Steering in a 69 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Originally posted by azfletch azfletch wrote:

........ I recommend getting a quick ratio 16:1 AMX steering box and install it in place of the sloppy 20:1 ratio that is standard on the American.  It is a direct bolt in exchange.

How about some part numbers.........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
Go to Rock Auto. They list Lares 16:1 manual boxes. The only 16:1 box that I had was on a 70 AMX, and took a lot of effort at low speeds. I'm sure tire size makes a difference. 
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 5:21pm
Looks like Lares #8899 on Rock Auto. Lists for $232 plus $75 core charge.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 6:32pm
Mark, I have read a little about the quick ratio box. I know it allows for less lock to lock turns. In your estimation does that make it harder to turn? What are the other advantages? Thanks.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Mark, I have read a little about the quick ratio box. I know it allows for less lock to lock turns. In your estimation does that make it harder to turn? What are the other advantages? Thanks.
AMC listed the quick ratio manual in the brochures as "recommend only for special performance/racing." They probably thought it was too much for the average person.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 8:57pm
Is it? I am only street driving, not racing. Thanks.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Is it? I am only street driving, not racing. Thanks.
I think it was recommended that way to keep the guy just riding around town from buying it, and being unhappy with the effort. It would be more responsive on the race track at speed. You can absolutely drive it on the street, just harder to steer. On a 6 cylinder car with narrow front tires, it would feel lighter. 

I also had a 1975 4 cylinder Cosworth Vega that weighed about 2,700 pounds with a standard 16:1 manual steering gear and I think 185/70 series tires, and it was surprisingly hard to steer. Of course, the steering wheel was a smaller diameter (14 inch?) too. It was probably worse than the manual steering 1972 LT-1 Corvette (15 inch diameter steering wheel) that I had at the same time with 215/70-15's. The smaller steering wheel gives you less leverage. It makes a difference. That is why the old, old cars had huge steering wheels before power steering.

Edit: I meant to add that all cars won't steer exactly the same due to different suspension geometry, so the Vega might be a totally different beast, but it was a bear, and I was a lot younger then.  In 1969, AMC offered a 24:1 ratio 6 turn lock to lock manual on Americans, except for a 20:1 ratio 5 turn on the SC/Rambler.

Edited by Sonic Silver - Dec/30/2016 at 10:18pm
azfletch View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote azfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2016 at 11:22pm
I have the quick ratio on the SC. It takes some effort at low speeds, but is not horrible.  The advantage is that while driving curvy roads i can drive one handed most of the time. with the other hand free to shift.
My 67 Rogue convertible has the 20:1 ratio and it takes two hands to turn on the same curvy road. as the wheel must go further in order to turn the wheels the same distance.
I have a used 16:1 box that I will update the convertible with in the future.
Both boxes take the same effort to park at low speeds.

Mark Fletcher
72 AMX 401 with 6K original miles.
70 Mark Donohue Javelin, 390 4 speed with 47K miles.
70 AMX, 390 AT, AC Randall car.
67 Rogue Barbados Blue 290 225HP 4 speed convertible 71K miles.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2016 at 7:48am
matt I still use the manuel in my 65 with a small 10 inch steering wheel and had no trouble at slow speeds or parking with the 290 in there
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2016 at 9:01am
I have manual on my 401/426 69 Rambler and would not convert to power. I did that years ago on my 77 hornet, went from manual to power and it was "OK", steered nice, but I reverted to manual eventually. IIRC there was about a 45 lb weight hit.

Some people think I'm nuts, but I prefer the manual. Cleans up the engine compartment, makes it easier to work on, and saves weight. What's not to like? I would not recommend the close ratio steering box for daily driving; a friend did that on his car and on that thing the steering effort is much higher and a pain in daily. But it all depends on what you like -he is a cornering guy and wanted the tighter steering.

Of course getting rid of the power brakes was wonderful!!

One thing to think of is front end weight. It's sort of a snowball, stock iron intake manifold, power brakes, accessories, and stuff adds more weight to the front and makes it harder to steer so you want power steering, which weighs more. On my car the battery is in the trunk, the engine went on a weight reduction plan, and I've dumped accessories I don't want and simplified things. There is probably close to 200 lbs off the front (it's still the 6 cyl springs and now the front is sitting a little to high) and it's very easy to steer.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2016 at 9:08am
I say go for the power steering if you can. I did it on my truck but not before the steering wheel pretty well came apart. There is lots of epoxy holding it together and it still needs to be wrapped or replaced.

Some day the Rambler will also get done as that steering wheel is probably rare to replace and I don't want to see any more cracks in the somewhat nice original that is on it now. .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic