TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Magnum Wheel paint 1969 AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 1:06pm
One thing to keep in mind is the original wheels with the original paint had a tendency ( in my experience)  to  change over the years.  They  got washed, rained on...probably scrubbed now and then etc.   What happened is the paint would gradually wash away leaving more exposure to the glitter in the paint.  Remember the wheels were glitter painted BEFORE the recesses were blacked out with satin black.
If you look closely at a set of NOS or nice original wheels you can see and feel the roughness of the glitter paint under the black.   I have seen original wheels that are ALL glitter....there are some pics here on the forum from BillD of his original wheels on his Javelin that look  that way...
several years back the most common paint was the Seymore "sunburst" paint.  Black giltter paint that was actually a good substitute.  The glitter was pretty heavy and had a tendency to plug the spray nozzle after one spray ..... The story was that's why it went out of production??? You can see in the picture here that the cap on the can is pretty glittery! 

Chuck Page  

Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 6:37pm
George, the glitter on your wheels is probably a little too heavy for a '69, but only the purists would notice.  The 69's had more silver than the '70s but not quite as much as you have. When I did my '69 I think I went a tad too light, so I recently added another coat and now they're more like yours.  I should have dialed it back a little, but at a recent show I noticed most were the same way (probably incorrectly). It's a fine line between too little and too much.  When you buy the paint from Amark they supply you with a sample painted metal plate to show how the '69s and 70's differ.  Follow that and you'll be good, but unless you're going for the top prize at the AMO National, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic