TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

mag wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mag wheels
    Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 8:55am
Would like to dress up my 63' 770 wagon, but not sure what other manufacturers (ford, etc. And year) will fit. Also looking for shocks.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 9:12am
Most earlier Ford, Chrysler and AMC all had wheels with a 4-1/2" bolt pattern. However, some Ford wheels have a smaller center hole and may not fit over the AMC hub without a quick trip to a machine shop. Kanter Automotive in Boonton, NJ can provide shocks as can most AMC vendors.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 9:19am
To Expand on the above, 5x 4.5 bolt pattern was used by many automobiles during the era that AMC was still alive and making cars and Ford and MOPAR were only a few of them. And except for certain years of Lincoln as a large car, Chrysler Imperial also and a number of the smaller compact models that bolt pattern continued up into today's years with a variety of off sets. However wheel adapters are available to allow even the use of those. I am installing Shelby Cobra Wheels on my Hornet using adapters and the same adapters allow the use of wheels from my Chrysler T&C. in this case the adapter maintains the 5 X 4.5 wheel bolt pattern but acts as a spacer to compensate for back spacing.
The bottom line? You have lots of options available to you.
Check Rock Auto for shocks

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 9:36am
Thank you for the great info.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 7:18am
A little more info -- a 7" wheel is about as wide as you can go, with 215 width tires. You'll need a 3.25-3.50" backset. You can go up to a 3.75" backset, but may need a 1/8" or 1/4" spacer. Some wheels with that bolt pattern are deep backset for FWD and 4WD vehicles. Even the late Mustangs with rear drive and the same pattern use a deep wheel. For those you'll need bolt-on spacers. 
Frank Swygert
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:50am
Thanks, I new the backset was going to be a problem. Really not keen on spacers. I my have better luck staying with a steel wheel with a little different look.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 10:46am
Originally posted by longroof longroof wrote:

Thanks, I new the backset was going to be a problem. Really not keen on spacers. I my have better luck staying with a steel wheel with a little different look.

Today's spacers are actually a very good product, 20 years ago I would not have said that, but technology has changed things. And that has been for the better quite frankly. The current wheels I plan on fitting on to my hornet are 10 inch wide 19 inch wheels and I will use spacers that are aprox. 2 inches thick selected specifically to get things to fit. Different size for back and front and the tires will be low profile probably 35 series tires. At last in the front. But I do not have to deal with a trunion in front which takes a bit of finesse to do so.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 1:28pm
Don't be afraid to check Craigslist for used aftermarket wheels. I picked up a nice use set of 14" American Racing Torque Thrust D's with tires, lug nuts and center caps for $500. The front tires are only a year old with MAYBE 100 miles on them. The rears are like ten years old, which I will replace. Even with needing to buy two tires, that was a smokin' good deal. I even found another set a few weeks later in 15" for $350 with tires!
longroof View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longroof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:06pm
American Racing Torque Thrust would be my first choice. They just scream 60's. I have been looking local, but nothing has shown up. You mentioned 15" and are you using spacers for the backseat?
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:15pm
That they do. You just can't beat a five spoke wheel on a classic. I didn't buy the 15's, and don't know what the back spacing was. I forget what the back spacing is on the 14's I bought for my car. I think it was 3.5" back spacing on a 14x7 wheel. They came off a '75 Mercury Comet GT. They look sick on my Javelin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic