TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Machine Quarter Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:14pm
Nice work Steve.....it is always amazing what you find under the seam sealer!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Nice work Steve.....it is always amazing what you find under the seam sealer!

That's for sure. Think there's more rot where the trunk pan meets the trunk drop. I'll strip off the sealer and look.

Hope to get the tail pan repaired tomorrow. Didn't want to remove too much at one time or I'd risk getting repairs in their proper place.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 6:20pm
Tail pan repaired.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 7:23pm
I'm starting to think the seam sealer AMC used was designed to hold moisture.

Cut out the rot and made a piece to replace the floorpan part of this section. Once that's welded in I'll make a piece to lap over the top of it and connect to the trunk drop.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 7:10pm
Got the piece welded in this eve. Grinding down the welds might have been a wasted effort since it'll be covered with seam sealer.

I'll get the trunk drop side in next. When I do an overlap like this I paint both sides before I weld them in. I'll drill holes in the top piece then scratch off the paint on the mating side before I plug weld them together.

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 9:17pm
Looking good Steve!!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 2:08pm
Thanks!

Got the trunk drop top piece welded in today.

Now that all that rot is taken care of the rear-most piece that the valance and quarter attach to is next.

Might have to stop by Harbor Freight and bring home an english wheel.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 8:03pm
Got brave and cut out the bad metal from the rear of the trunk drop. Fabricated a piece to replace it, might be good enough to use.

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 8:37pm
Great fabrication. Nice👍
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 7:02am
Thanks bigbadgreen. I wasn't very optimistic when I first started making that piece. Did it in two sections and turned out decent.

Think I'll bolt the rear valance back on and temporarily tape up the quarter to make sure the mating surfaces line up with that part properly. The nice thing about sheet metal is there's some adjustment in it.

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic