TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Machine going back to stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vyscera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Machine going back to stock
    Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 6:04pm
I have a machine that currently has a 401/727 setup, the original motor/trans came with the car. I'm starting the process of getting the original stuff rebuilt to have put back into the car by a shop. Any thoughts to areas that might need to be looked at or parts replaced? The motor and trans are separated also. thanks. 
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 10:16pm
Make sure the machine shop rebuilds amc motors
It's not a chevy.   

Many others seem to have been bitten with the low oil pressure issue after using any
Run of the mill machine shop

I suggest you contact jcisworthy on this forum
He's good with amc motors
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 3:13pm
A bit skinny on information here! What kind of transmission is it? What has been changed? What are you missing that you know of? The gold here is the intake, carb and exhaust manifolds. If you have those you are in good shape, since those are like finding rocking horse manure. If it was originally a 4 speed car you will need linkage and pedals too.

What are you trying to achieve, stock, pro-stock, mild street, stock resto or ???

Thanks!

Chris

As Gremlin steve mentioned, make sure the shop is AMC savvy, they are NOT a chevy!!!!
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 3:22pm
Ccowx, he had another thread on linkage for a console M12. I gave him Info and yet to see Info he has found everything. Hopefully he has kept track of both posts.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
vyscera View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vyscera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 7:30pm
Yes I'm keeping an eye on both posts. 
I lucked out and made friends with the guys at Just Jeepsters, who've been helping me find parts/shops for both of my jeepster and Machine. But I wanted to get opinions from folks who would know the finer deails of AMC cars.
The original valve covers and intake were reused on the 401 that is currently in the car. I'm glad to have them, but worried it will make selling the 401 that much tougher as it will be missing those plus the front side accessories. 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 7:50pm
I would not even think for a second about selling the valve covers or intake with the 4011!!! The intake is worth about as much as a complete 401 block alone. Remember the rocking horse manure? Depending on the condition of the chrome on the valve covers, they can be in the hundreds too. And hopefully the valve covers still have the little aluminum tag with the date code on it. That is also probably worth north of a hundred bucks too, and difficult to replace. All of these items are probably not worth much to the guy buying the 401 anyway, other than for resale. He may use his own valve covers, intake etc anyway. I would also keep the brackets and PS pump, if any, since those may be model year specific. If you are really concerned you could replace the valve covers and other bits with generic AMC pieces for much less than the items you have are worth.

Chris
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 8:05pm
Ccowx is right... don't sell a thing that you are not sure of 100%

That car is one year only, and many wee items are specific to the car. Geezo you could sell that 401 as a short block with just heads minus the timing cover if it is date correct for the 390, for a good price easily. I am sure your exhaust manifolds are original too!

The timing cover and oil filter adapter have date codes. There are a lot of date specific items, so if you really get down to the nitty gritty, the electronic voltage regulator and Alternator can be restored or replaced with good restored units. Billd does an excellent job of restorations, and does electric wiper motors too!

Many have plans on using an after market intake and what ever, the running short block and heads are just as good as a complete engine in most cases.

Also the carb, it may be your original as well, that Is date coded and should also have a tag on the corner.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/26/2017 at 8:08pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 11:27pm
Not to belabor a point, but here is a basic list of what to keep on your engine:

-Intake manifold, one year only and specific to the Machine engine
-Exhaust manifolds, same as intake.
-air cleaner, oil filler and valve covers, all chrome and quite difficult to replace
-Carburetor, also specific to the Machine
-Distributor
-Timing cover
-PS apparatus, changed in 1972
-Fan and shroud, if so equipped, including the aluminum spacer behind the fan.
-Valve cover tag
-Alternator and VR
-Cylinder heads, one year only

Bear in mind that the intake is probably worth at least $500, the exhaust manifolds the same, valve covers $200+, aircleaner housing and cover $300-500+, Carb $300+ for a core, timing cover $200+, VR and alternator $200+ as a working pair, etc. All this assumes you can even find the Machine specific bits at all, which I would not depend on.

Many of these items are one or two year only and/or specific to the Machine. Few to none are reproduced. Some guy is going buy your 401 for a hot rod and replace most of this stuff with the aftermarket of his choice and either sell it for enough to build his own engine, or toss it in the bin!

Nice car!

Chris
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

Not to belabor a point, but here is a basic list of what to keep on your engine:

-Intake manifold, one year only and specific to the Machine engine
-Exhaust manifolds, same as intake.
-air cleaner, oil filler and valve covers, all chrome and quite difficult to replace
-Carburetor, also specific to the Machine
-Distributor
-Timing cover
-PS apparatus, changed in 1972
-Fan and shroud, if so equipped, including the aluminum spacer behind the fan.
-Valve cover tag
-Alternator and VR
-Cylinder heads, one year only

Bear in mind that the intake is probably worth at least $500, the exhaust manifolds the same, valve covers $200+, aircleaner housing and cover $300-500+, Carb $300+ for a core, timing cover $200+, VR and alternator $200+ as a working pair, etc. All this assumes you can even find the Machine specific bits at all, which I would not depend on.

Many of these items are one or two year only and/or specific to the Machine. Few to none are reproduced. Some guy is going buy your 401 for a hot rod and replace most of this stuff with the aftermarket of his choice and either sell it for enough to build his own engine, or toss it in the bin!

Nice car!

Chris
How is a Machine carburetor different from any 4 barrel carb on any other 1970 AMC?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 5:36pm
Someone has borrowed my TSM, so I am working off memory. I thought the Machine carb was unique, but even if not, any original AM Autolite 4300's are getting skinny on the ground and there is also the date code issue.

Thanks!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic