TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M-36 options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2009 at 3:51pm

The vacuum line is for the vacuum modulator in your M-36. If the M-43 doesn't have that, just remove the line and elbow from the intake manifold and install a pipe plug (put a little sealer on the plug so it doesn't leak). The flex plate is for sure the same.

BTW, if you don't need the vacuum line and it is in good shape (no kinks, sloppy looking bends, or rust holes), I'd like to buy an extra one to send out and get duplicated since the one on my car is a little ratty looking.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2009 at 6:21pm
ahh. I have a 258 intake and it does not have the provisions for the vacuum line - maybe I'll use that one instead of the 199 intake!
1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2009 at 6:24pm
PS the line is 90% mint, other that cosmetics.
1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2009 at 11:01pm
also the 199 intake seems looks to be a 'warmed' intake, IE the coolant runs through it.

Any benefit to this set up?
1967 AMC Rambler
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2009 at 8:27am
The water through the intake is for fuel economy. Warms up faster, fuel vaporizes better, but you lose just a little power -- not enough to worry about though.

If the trans has a cable from the throttle linkage to the trans it won't have a vacuum modulator. I don't recall if the 36 and 37 have a cable or vac, but I know the 35 uses a cable. Only the 65-66 M-8 used both a cable and vacuum line, but that wasn't a modualtor, it was just some sort of reference signal. The M-4x definitely uses a modulator.
Frank Swygert
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2009 at 12:25pm
Does the 258 intake have a plug in it? Other than the water tube, that's the only difference between the manifolds. As far as any benefits from having the water tube, my 68 doesn't have it but my 67 does and I don't notice any difference at all in cold performance. AMC went back and forth a bunch of times over the years on using it so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor on which manifold to use.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 9:51pm
Wrong thread... disregard.

Edited by Jjtxaz - Jan/22/2018 at 6:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic