TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M-36 options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2009 at 2:05am
Thanks for the information!!!

I just got the old 199 engine out and am looking at the M-36 that's left in the car.. oh boy what have I got myself into.. lol.

If the M-36 goes, I think I found an M-40 to replace it with.. I do like to hot foot it quite a bit unfotunately!

Edited by BadTad - Jun/21/2009 at 2:05am
1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 11:39am
Originally posted by KermitDRambler KermitDRambler wrote:

You have to use a six cylinder transmission. My parts books says 1971 258's got an M43.

Matt

I found an M43 with no bell housing, would the M36 bell housing cross over? :)

Edited by BadTad - Jun/25/2009 at 11:41am
1967 AMC Rambler
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 7:30pm
Is it a water cooled 1971 model? If so, the parts book says the 71 water cooled bell housing is different (air cooled is the same at least back to 67 which is as far back as it goes). My guess is that it will physically fit but the case for the 71 M43 was only used that one year so I don't know for sure.

If the tranny tag has AS2-43, AS4-43, or AS10-43 on it, it for sure uses the same bell housing. If the tag has 10- something on it, that is where the bell housing is different.

Also, the parts book says the torque converter and dipstick (and tube) are different. The dipstick change happened in 1970 but the 1969 dipstick (listed as one year only) can be replaced with the 70. The mounting changed at that time but I don't know if the change was just due to mounting differences or if something else changed. The good thing is it shouldn't be hard to find a 1969-71 six cylinder dipstick used (make sure you get the mounting bracket) if you don't have one with the tranny.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2009 at 11:48pm
Hmmm, interesting stuff!

The 71 is listed as 'oil' cooled.

So I'd need to get the 71's dip stick eh?

How about the torque converter - use the 71 or the 67?

Wish I had one near by to mock up with. grr
1967 AMC Rambler
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 8:34am
According to the parts book, you need a 69 - 71 dipstick.

There are a bunch of torque converters listed for 67-71 sixes. The from pump is also different from what you have (and different depending on if it is water cooled or not) so my guess is yes, you'll need a different torque converter.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 9:40am
There are differences in the bells and converters, but knowing what they are helps! The M-4x series SHOULD fit an air cooled M-3x series bell. The difference is there is a large hole in the right side of the air cooled trans bell, but that won't affect operation. Torque converters should interchange also. The air cooled on has a fan made onto it, oil cooled doesn't. There's no problem with using an air cooled converter with an oil cooled trans, more cooling won't hurt! I wouldn't use an air cooled converter without the air cooled bell though. The fan would generate a lot of drag on the converter if the air has nowhere to go.

On the converters, if they fit in the front of the trans they should interchange. Make sure the diameter is the same though (not counting the fan in the measurement). In general, a smaller diameter converter has a higher stall speed (takes more rpm before it starts moving). There could be differences inside to affect stall speed, but all the stock six converters are generally around a 1500-1600 rpm stall speed, so there shouldn't be much (if any) difference. V-8s usually have a higher stall speed, more around 2000 rpm (stock).  I could be off on the stall speed... going from memory!

I don't know what the pump differences are, the oil cooled ones probably have a higher capacity pump since they would be moving more fluid.  Shouldn't be an issue, but the converter might have different splines on the inner torus, so definitely check for proper fit. There could be a difference in year model pumps also. The older ones (through 66 or 67) had a front and rear pump. Those with front pumps only may have a larger front pump. If the converter fits though, shouldn't be a problem. Ive done a little mixing and matching with the M-3x/4x, but forget the years and exact models. It's been a while!

Edited by farna - Jun/26/2009 at 9:42am
Frank Swygert
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 10:31pm
Thank you all very very much for the information.

I'll possibly have an M-43 with torque converter on the way up monday - I asked about the dip stick tonight we'll see what they say?

I'll have to use the bell housing from the M36, but odly enough I don't remember seeing any fans on the torque converter.

There's also a brake line like pipe that seems to have been running from the intake to the tranny.. what is that all about?
1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 10:35pm
PS what flexplate should I use?
1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2009 at 10:36pm
Also just thought of this - I wonder if I'll need to change the shifter linkage..
1967 AMC Rambler
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2009 at 6:18am
Shift linkage should be the same. Have no idea what the metal line could have run to, maybe the vent at the top of the main case? Flexplates should be the same. The fan on the torque converter doesn't look like a fan -- it looks more like a cover, or "second skin"  spaced about 1/4" away from the main housing, but doesn't cover the entire converter, just most of the "back" (curved side facing the trans). Easy to miss as a fan! 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic