TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M-36 options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M-36 options
    Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 3:22pm
Hi Folks,

I have what I believe to be an M-36 on the back of my 67 199 block , I'm dropping a 258 block in it's place and not sure if I should replace it with something heavier duty or have it rebuild.

Currently it slips for a couple seconds before mild thump when going into second.. not sure if that is wear or the fact that I'm missing some bushings on the selector linkage.

In either case, what options would I have for replacing the auto tranny with something that will bolt right up to the 71 258 block ?

Thanks!

-BT
1967 AMC Rambler
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 3:50pm
Be sure the 258 is a 71 and the starter is on the correct side, otherwise you will have to use a later transmission.

If it is slipping I would say there are trans issues beyond bushings. When it is out is the best time to have it worked on!
AMO Newsletter Editor
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 3:54pm
Yup the 258 is defiantly at 71.

I'm wondering if this would be a good time to upgrade to a better auto, as I plan on some major upgrades to the 258 this winter.  I'm just not sure what my options are.  I thought there was a heavy duty auto offering, but can't find anything?

I'm not even sure if I can get parts to rebuild the m-36 with or not?
1967 AMC Rambler
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 4:53pm

You're pretty much stuch with the Borg Warner trannies unless you get a 72 or newer engine. When they are properly maintained and in good condition, there's nothing really wrong with them. On the other hand, if the tranny is air cooled, it may be better to find a 4x series tranny which will be water cooled.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 10:04pm
no I'm quite happy with the 71, just want to see what my options are for bw trannies behind it, will have to stick with auto for now as the wife wants to be able to drive it as well :)
1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 2:04pm
can I use an M44 ?

1967 AMC Rambler
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 2:32pm
or ??

starter is on the DS ( correct side for me ) this time.. not sure if I can use the m36 housing with the M44 to make it work or?

Help! Confused

Edited by BadTad - Jun/15/2009 at 2:32pm
1967 AMC Rambler
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 8:03pm
You have to use a six cylinder transmission. My parts books says 1971 258's got an M43.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
BadTad View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadTad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2009 at 8:16pm
Ok, so I can't swap the M36 bell housing onto the M44?

Would the M-43 be a bolt on replacement - I would assume so if it's meant for my engine!

Next question.. where is a guy going to find one of these..
1967 AMC Rambler
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2009 at 8:31am
I'm pretty sure the M-3x and M-4x bells are interchangeable. The torque converters should interchange as well. In theory you should be able to use your M-37 torque converter and bell with an M-4x transmission. I don't recall anyone who's actually done it and don't have two trannys side by side to compare, but I'm pretty sure it will work. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try it, or find someone with both lying around willing to check.

The M-4x was used behind 66-71 290/304 V-8s with 2V carb -- any with an aluminum main case (4V 290 used an iron cased M-11, no factory 4V 304s), and all 70-71 sixes (69 was last year for M-3x).

The M-37 was used behind 232s even in Ambassadors. If yours has liquid cooling (lines to the radiator) I'd get it serviced (bands adjusted, fluid changed, and filter changed/screen cleaned) and try it. And replace that bushing. When the bands wear it will slip a little, and if adjusted before they are too badly glazed the trans should last a good deal longer unless you're hot-footing around. Cruising/regular driving you should be fine even with the 258, especially if it's mostly stock. I really wouldn't worry even if it's air cooled only for a regular driver. Tom Jennings has been using an lighter duty M-35 behind a 232 for many years and nearly 200K miles (been rebuilt twice over a 20+ year period) in a Classic wagon hauling camping gear through the southern California desert on many occasions. As long as you don't get too abusive on it the M-37 (slightly uprated from the M-35) should be fine.

If it's air cooled look for plugs on the right side, one in the side of the trans near the bell and another in top of the pan flange near the back. If it has those you can attach an external cooler. If not the trans case isn't drilled for it and it lacks an internal tube for the cooler. From what Matt and I have been able to research, there were two different cases for air and liquid cooled trannys. Can't determine what models got which, but assume that heavy use (taxi and other fleet vehicles) and hot climates would get the liquid cooled, but may have just been the heavy duty option for the six. AC equipped cars might have the liquid cooled trans also. Not enough samples out there to say for sure!

It's not a hard trans to rebuild, if you ever considered rebuilding your own auto trans this would be a good one! You need a TSM and a clean place to work. Pull and tear-down in a 8-10 hour day, reassemble in 8-12 hours, then reinstall. Just be real careful with the valve body! Your's is a perfect self-build situation -- the trans works perfectly, just slips. That usually means no hard parts broken or worn too bad, just bands and clutches worn. Take it apart, replace all seals and wear parts (bands and clutches), a few bearings, and reassemble!

Edited by farna - Jun/19/2009 at 8:35am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic