TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M35 Flash-O-Matic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 6:10am
Some hard parts are scarce so Northwest transmission still have drums and hard parts available. Jim    J&K Resto Mods
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 7:58am
I think $600 to $700 is a very good price. I had just a reverse band replaced up in Ft. St. John in my Jeep Wagoneer TH400 30 years ago for $400 and that guy new them well. I think with these old transmissions there are not that many people around who know them or haven't done one in a while. There is always a learning curve to get familiar with it. 

The only automatic I can remember doing myself was a Hondamatic two speed. It worked well afterward so I still have interest in tackling the M35. Got one in the car with 196 bell and TC but 232 motor, one on the floor from a 66 Ambassador 232, one in parts from a 64 American, and one still complete from a 65 American 232. Both the American transmissions had the same problem, supposedly leaking past the rear pump and pushing oil past the tail shaft seal. A transmission shop took the 64 all apart and gave it back to the 82+ year old fellow and said sorry can't fix it. This transmission worked fine except for the leak which apparently could have been fixed by just pulling off the tail housing and changing some seals. I've briefly looked over the TSM and will use it to guide me in building the sub-assembles and try to put it all back together. For me, with boxes full of parts, I could see this taking days. The old fellow wasn't even sure it is complete. Second one would be a lot easier.

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 2:08pm
Looks like this will not be my week for my transmission. After the trans was disassembled he discovered the bands were starting to crystallize and the thrust bearings were bad. Parts were ordered.

I am not sure  where parts are being purchased.
Ollie

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 10:39am
I started looking at my new to me M35 transmission that came disassembled and in boxes. Are the two bands the same? Are they for first and reverse? One looks much thinner than the other. Maybe I won't start off in first gear anymore. This is going to take some time to make the necessary tools to get it back together but generally most things look good. The M35 may not be as strong as some but they are a quality built transmission.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2014 at 6:10pm
The rear clutch has a needle bearing in one end which is good and a bushing in the other end which was worn out with an estimated .010" (radial?/axial?) side play. Found a replacement  at a transmission supply place that will work with correct inner and outer dimensions but a tad long. Saw what looked like vite J2292 on one. Saw another with Michigan 02292 on it so the first one was probably Clevite 02292. I wonder if the rear clutch originally had needle bearings on both ends. Made a tool so hopefully can get the rear clutch spring compressed to get the snap ring off and be able to change the seals. 
Frictions and steels are mostly same thickness as the new replacements in a kit so will use them over again. Two are more than .002" thinner so will replace them. Steels are concave/convex depending from which side one looks, which came as a surprise to me.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 6:43am
The rear clutch bushing 27/32 X 31/32 X 3/4 long. Not a common size.

Made tool with 2" square tubing, 2 U shapes cut out of opposite sides at one end (1 would have been enough to get access to snap ring), other end cut a chair back and folded it over and drilled hole to run a bolt through. 

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2014 at 5:21am
Found another identical worn bushing in the planetary or sun gear assy. These bushings support the sun gear shaft and are probably worn out in every transmission that comes apart. F-1 was stamped on the rolled bushings that came out. By rolled I mean like taking a rod bearing half and rolling it into a circle. The Clevite and Michigan bushings mentioned earlier are locked together like a jig saw puzzle but the ones coming out had only a straight slit. It is difficult to source these .845 X .970 X 3/4 long bushings.

The tool worked well. It was nice to have access to the snap ring from both sides. 

Not all the steels are convex. Convex in one clutch (rear?), flat in the other.  

Even though the TSM tells how to do it I have trouble figuring out how this stuff goes together. An hour or two at a time and eventually it will get there. 

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 6:01am
I couldn't find the sealing rings for the sun gear shaft in the kit I had bought from a supplier a number of years ago. Ordered them from Northwest Transmission. They also have the bushings and probably pretty well any thing else. 

I did fit all the assemblies together from front pump to tail shaft just to see how they go together. 

Squeezed the bands together over a drum and measured the gap with a 6" steel rule. 0.20" gap on the one that looks good and 0.15" gap on the other. Don't know what to do about that yet. Bands are available. Maybe I'll catch NWT this morning and add one to the order.

The old fellow said he didn't think it was complete. So far I haven't been aware of anything missing inside but come to think of it, I don't remember seeing the oil pan. Maybe that is an add on option for later. Hopefully I can get it built to that stage.

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 12:44pm
Wow, you are moving on !! I am no trans mechanic, did not have the nerve to try.

My 1968, M-35 transmission is now taken apart at the re-builders. 

They had to have some bushings machined.
It also had a bad bearing, it was a ball type bearing. The bearing had a holder, it was completely gone. Where it sat in the case had wear so they machined a part for that. { Not sure what happened here ?? was the trans previously taken apart?? 46 year old question}
They also machined the needle bolt you referred too.

NEED AMC PARTS NUMBERS 3182779 & 3165044...any leads??
Ollie

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2014 at 7:42pm
I contacted Northwest Trans parts and he will call me back.
Ollie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic