TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M35 Flash-O-Matic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

A shadetree could do it in that, but I'd never bolt it in MY car.

Bill,

I remember the very first one I did (was 19 at the time). Put it all back together, bolted it in the car and the output shaft wouldn't move! Turned out the rear thrust bearing behind the Planetary slipped out of place when I pushed it in and it crushed the bearing. I had to completely disassemble it to replace a 70 cent bearingAngry

Used more white grease to hold it in place the next time!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 12:47pm
I used a lot of the white grease and vasoline when doing transmissons.
I used the vasoline to hold the check balls in the valve body.
It dissolves really well in warm transmission fluid.

With an automatic, cleanliness is truly next to godliness.
Don't keep it clean and you'll be using His name in vain later!
And those darned little needle bearings and thrust washers, and the sprague clutches and the check balls...................
I used to do so many that the boss had a special table built for me complete with drain channels, etc.  It was called "Bill's transmission bench", probably 6' long or so, 30" + wide.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Pan cooler - if they even make 'em for that.
The pan has tubes in it and cooling fins. 
3 hours isn't enough to do all the cleaning and cleaning and inspecting and checking clearances and testing before it goes back in.
A shadetree could do it in that, but I'd never bolt it in MY car.
It can take just that long to clean it. and you sure better have that baby spotless, it will bite you hard if you dont.
checking clearances and testing also takes time too. more than just 3 hours.........
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2009 at 9:29am
Bill;
I want to be your first customer for my 64 ambo.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 8:46am
The BW trannys aren't difficult to rebuild. The only auto trans I ever rebuilt was a T-35 auto. Cleanliness is the key, and taking your time to get it all right! I had about 15-16 hours in it, but purposely went slow so I didn't miss anything.

The M-8 should have provisions for a cooler, the M-35 (T-35) doesn't. If you have a cast iron main body it's an M-8, if it's aluminum it will be the 35 (or a 36 or 37). The bell and output shaft housing is aluminum on all but the real early M-8 (50s). The TSM doesn't show where the cooler outlet/inlet is, and I can't recall the exact position -- I believe they are on the right (passenger) side though. The return is just a tapped hole in the case, the supply (to the cooler) comes off the converter pressure control valve. Should be a pipe plug in the trans main body close to the front. The M-37 had provisions for an external cooler, and possibly the M-36, but the 35 (the lightest duty version) does not. The others have an extra passage drilled and an extra tube. The place is cast into the M-35 body, but it's not drilled and of course the tube isn't there.
Frank Swygert
kudagra View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kudagra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2009 at 9:05pm
http://nwtparts.com/

Master rebuild kit is $180..I guess that includes everything including the bands and steels.
I have become death, the destroyer of worlds.
J. Robert Oppenheimer

If voting could actually change things it would be illegal.
whiteg11 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiteg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 7:11pm
Just joined forum. Plowing ground you must have been through before. Looking for useable automatic for a '59 Rambler American wagon with 196 flathead. Still got your cores for rebuilding?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 4:00pm
Bill,
Wish you had your shop going now. I have heard more bad stories about M-35 transmission rebuilds and  re-builders, than success stories.  

I did alot of research and located a old AMC dealership owner. He now has my M-35 and his AMC transmission man that worked at the dealership, is now rebuilding it. He is retired and does AMC transmissions at his home.

I had to deliver the transmission to Jasper, TX but that was not a big issue for me.

Mr. Onnie Weaver still has the dealership and it is now Weaver Bros Dodge.
Ollie
whiteg11 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiteg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 9:39pm
Ollie -

If you have info on Texas source for M35 Flash-o-matics and / or rebuilds, I would appreciate getting their contact numbers. Thanks.

whiteg11
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 6:08am
Trans star industries still have kits available to rebuild your t-35 m-11 and m-12 units. 440-232-5100 x8234 ask for steve shipka. Very nice man to deal with. They ship country wide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic