TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M35 Flash-O-Matic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallbrookguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M35 Flash-O-Matic
    Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 1:04am
Hello,

I was wondering how difficult this transmission is to rebuild. I have spoken with a few people and they make it seem like it's a difficult transmission to have rebuilt. Are there special tools that a shop might need? I have gotten a price of 600 to 700 with torque converter is that a decent price or is that to expensive? Also do they make a shift kit for this transmission or any performance mods that could be done to make it stronger? I'm in the process of getting the engine rebuilt and would like to get the trans done at the sametime. Thanks

John
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2009 at 1:41pm
That's seems like a high price to me but you have to have it rebuilt if you want to run that engine. Nothing else bolts to it except AMC Borg Warner manual trannys. I have 2 Flash-o-matics that need rebuilding but I can't even find parts. Good Luck.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 10:22am
That's a good price in my opinion.  It cost me over $1100 to have a 904 rebuild a couple of years ago, with many new hard parts.   A local guy quotes $1200 for the rebuild Borg Warner trannies and that does not include removal and installation.   I understand that the tranny parts are available from places like Northwest Transmission. 
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Bake View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 10:25am
A guy out here in the Bay Area advertises that he rebuilds early BW for $1285.

My daily driver
1965 American 330 Wagon
232 6 cyl/2-bbl
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 10:37am

Good price if with T-C especially IMO.  Other simple transmissions often cost more to do.

My goal is to eventually have my shop setup for "AMC" transmission work...... starting to collect parts and getting metal benches (to resist all the fluid!)  and will do Motorol aalternators. Collecting parts for those, too, and making a test bench setup for them.

TAJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 12:53pm

Try http://www.fatsco.com/ they have everything even used parts like dipstick tubes and such. They are very helpful and knowledgable. If you are getting inflated prices because of hard to find parts, just bring yer own to the rebuilder. this will probably incur some labor change but it may be worth it. You are goin to have to call as to them a M35 is kinda par for their course especially when they deal with some unique transmissions.

Hope this helps!
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 9:17pm
Sounds like a fair price. NAPA still can special order many of the hard parts like bands and bushings.
No, there's not much you can do to beef one of these up. Keep the fluid clean. Find some old timer who knows how to adjust the bands (or learn to do it yourself.) If you're going to drive it much, consider an auxiliary tranny cooler.

Happy Ramblin',
Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2009 at 10:19pm
I still have one of the B/W band torque wrenches here somewhere.......... the end fits the square adjusting bolt.
Does that make me an old-timer?  Confused
Fallbrookguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallbrookguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 9:28am
I found out the transmission I have is the M8. How could I install a auxiliary tranny cooler when it's not drilled or anything for that when it's air cooled? Also is there away to install one of those for the engine as well? I'd like to get this engine to run and last for as long as I can. Most places want near 1k to rebuild it and others won't even quote me a price. They were saying 85 bucks an hour and it'll take 10 hours that seems kinda a long time to me. I'd think you could do it in like 3 hours if it's already out of the car.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 10:48am
Pan cooler - if they even make 'em for that.
The pan has tubes in it and cooling fins. 
3 hours isn't enough to do all the cleaning and cleaning and inspecting and checking clearances and testing before it goes back in.
A shadetree could do it in that, but I'd never bolt it in MY car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic