TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

m12 shift kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 7:00pm
I've been referring to that page during my FMX rebuild along with a blog about overhauling the Studebaker Flightomatic and a Javelin Project page going over the transmission. These transmissions are all very similar but the FMX is a little more optioned. It looks like I lucked out with shift kit options and doing similar drum/hub boring mods that B&M Automotive tried on the BW11.

NOBODY at B&M Racing even knows any of the names in that article anymore but Hot Rod Magazine's Bud Lang is still a common drop. Can't get access to the full article either. I guess it makes sense to tread into unknown waters and try our own luck at modifying these things. So far the drum/hub boring has proven quite effective but I still wonder about that longer vacuum modulator pin.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 7:23pm
From the Hot Rod article, it looks like they used a fairly hefty pressure regulator spring, but moat of the changes are effectively trade secrets:

There is some scope to use different thickness steels in the clutch packs and that might be another path to adding an extra friction disc.

Doing things by trial and error is hard work when you haven't got much to go on.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 7:30pm
One thing about the fords.   the kick down is just that.   just about all the others use the levers for line pressure control, as well as kick down......
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 7:36pm
The automatic upshift to third gear, even when the lever is in "2" was a built in characteristic of these trannys. The upshift was set to occur somewhere around 5000 rpm. There was a TSB that referenced this. I'll try to find it.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 10:00pm
Yes, it's interesting that mine used to be able to hold 2nd beyond that before I changed the springs unless it has something to do with the kickdown being re-connected.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 7:22am
FWIW, the Ford FMX is more similar to the BW M-8, as that's what it was patterned after and Ford/BW had manufacturing agreements for. The FMX is a culmination of the first Ford built/licensed BW trans, the FM, and the second one, the FX  (Ford-O-Matic then Cruise-O-Matic, I believe is what Ford called them)-- hence "FMX" as it's the best features of the two earlier models. The BW M-11 and 12 are totally different from the earlier models.
Frank Swygert
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 9:43am
While this is off topic, I have some info on the Ford Borg Warner transmissions.
Cruise-O-Matic referred to all 3 speed automatic transmissions. Ford-O-Matic referred to the very early 3 speeds and all of the 2 speeds.

Ford even called their own C4 and C6 transmissions Cruise-O-Matics as well. This still causes a large amount of confusion to Ford guys. Until 1967, Ford 3 speed transmissions used the perplexing green dot shift pattern.

Ford had three case sizes for their Borg-Warner designed iron cased transmissions. Short (early Ford-O-Matic & FX), medium (MX), and long (LX). The longer the case, the more load it could handle.
In the late 60's Ford partially re-designed the short case. Since the new short case could now handle as much load as the old medium case, Ford called this version the FMX.
blaine H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaine H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 4:38pm
I believe that disconnection of the kickdown switch enables the transmission to go well beyond the 5000 rpm limit in second gear. I've bracket raced my m11b in the SC/360 for many years and that's what I've done. Plug pulled out in the tranny. I usually shift at the 5300 mark but have gone to 5500 (without any improvement in et).

blaine H.
NHRA Div 1 Bracket Finals - 2000, 01, 02 and 07.
I may be slow but I go first!
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 5:21pm
If you shift manually and leave the shifter in 2nd the stock M11 and M12 will hold 2nd gear at WOT until 5800 RPM and then upshift automatically to 3rd to protect the engine. It should do that whether the kickdown solenoid is connected or not.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by akimmet akimmet wrote:

While this is off topic, I have some info on the Ford Borg Warner transmissions.
Cruise-O-Matic referred to all 3 speed automatic transmissions. Ford-O-Matic referred to the very early 3 speeds and all of the 2 speeds.

This level of frustration and confusion found my inbox for a solid month between Cobra Transmission, various local to remote transmission shops that could barely identify my transmission, all the way up to NatPro, TranStar and TransGo. Half the problem was misidentification, the other problem was me ordering the right thing but being constantly sent the wrong parts. There are some real stupid people handling orders in these specialty shops and coming from a guy that modifies things as I see fit, that's saying a lot.

I've heard everything from Fordomatic, BW-35, Mile-o-matic, Mercomatic, C-4(which may actually be the tail extension housing now that I look at a diagram of these side by side), BW-11, an extremely rare 1967 Ford MX according to Mark at TransGo, FMX according to every Ford guy and some nameless cast iron small case Cruiseomatic according to every parts shop that is convinced this must have come from some early 70's Jaguar. Ouch Just like the Torqueflite series it shifts in the same pattern and has many names with the WORST durability when using stock replacement parts. If you want this thing to last you need to modify it some, pump the gas. It's been 50 years and there's been a lot of aftermarket support made for these, I've been told they usually swap pieces from the C4 and AOD-E.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic