TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

m12 shift kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 7:30pm
have the bands relined or use Ford medium case bands. You can get the bands in any material you want.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 4:13am
How did I miss this thread. I have been looking for ways to improve my BW transmission for years. This is a watershed of information for me, my transmission is a merging of the original m11 from my car (69 Javelin 343) and a M11B recovered from a junkyard. I used the upgraded case and servos from the M11B with some of the other bits from the M11 (combination of damage in the 11 and corrosion in the 11B). I used the M11 valve body as I was under the impression that being from a console shift car, it would work better than the M11B valve body, which was most likely from a column shift car, seems like the latter may have been the better choice.
md1970jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md1970jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 5:08am
I would take anything to improve the performance of my M11B. I,m still going to have problems with getting enough vacumm for tranny to work right due to the size of cam I chose.. I should have just had end of crank shaft drilled so I could switch trannys but to late now motor is together and running..Any suggestions on how to improve vacuum to tranny would be greatly appreciated .....THX
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 7:04am
What are the issues you're having ? With low vacuum your shift pressure and shift points will go up. If you're finding the shifts are late and hard with this cam then you can lower the adjustment in the vac. modulator.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 7:32am
The valve bodies are the same between column shift and console shift cars. The difference is the selector shaft arm is reversed between column and console shifters. I would assume that you could swap out the selector shaft or possibly it can be flipped ??
BTW AMC began a shift improvement campaign in these transmissions that started somewhere in the 69 model year. I've never found what the changes were but I think they incorporated the parts that were in the shift kit. There was more to it than that though as the 2 to 1 forced kickdown speed or the 2-1 manual shift down speed was raised considerably, but still not enough to satisfy a performance oriented driver. On my 68 343 AMX that Ross now has (where I added the kit) the 2 to 1 kickdown was disabled somewhere over 10 to 15 mph. The kit did not change that. My 69 AMX with the same drive train and it clearly has the factory shift upgrades, will do a 2-1 kickdown up to about 20 mph and a manual pull down a little higher than that.
With both my 68 and my 69 I raised the modulator adjustment pressure beyond the factory setting. I did not use a trans. pressure gauge, I simply tweaked and road tested until I got it where I wanted it. It's been running almost 40 years at that increased pressure and not one hint of trans. problems. The full throttle 1-2 and 2-3 shifts in "D" range are right before redline ( about 4850 rpm ) and are very positive.

A characteristic of these trannys though as that even when manually upshifting 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, that unless you're at full throttle OR above the road speed and rpm, where the upshift would occur normally, the shift is delayed between when you move the lever and the trans. actually shifts.

In this respect the Shift Command's don't differ from the Flash O Matic's from 67 on back. The only real difference between the SC and the FOM's was the shift quadrant designations of P R N D2 D1 L and P R N D 2 1. All operating functions were the same except for D2 and 2. D2 and 2 both start the car in second gear. D2 allows the automatic upshift to 3rd and 2 does not. Ford made the same change in their automatic transmissions at about the same time. Before they went to the standardized P R N D 2 1 arrangement they used P R N (Small white dot, D2) and (Large white dot with green center, D1 ) and L. No surprise really as the Ford FMX is essentially the same as the BW M-11, M-12's.

Edited by george w - Apr/16/2017 at 7:36am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by md1970jav md1970jav wrote:

I would take anything to improve the performance of my M11B. I,m still going to have problems with getting enough vacumm for tranny to work right due to the size of cam I chose.. I should have just had end of crank shaft drilled so I could switch trannys but to late now motor is together and running..Any suggestions on how to improve vacuum to tranny would be greatly appreciated .....THX

I think i have issue you are describing, after engine mods i installed stronger spring for the pressure regulator valve, it made the trans shift hard but now it feels like the Vac modulator is not getting enough vacuum and is trying to hold full line pressure when idling in gear.

There are different Vacuum modulators available but i dont know if their difference is enough to make them work with low vac cam.

I think i will try to test with different lenght modulator push rods to see if i can somehow lower the line pressure at idle.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 4:34pm
Did you try backing out the pressure adjusting screw in the modulator ? I'm not aware of "different" modulators available for the M-11 & M-12. You should have the "large" can modulator that's adjustable. I don't know though how much you can lower the line pressure within the range of that adjustment screw. Have you experimented at all with the adjusting screw ? The modulator has to track the engine vacuum range to get the shift points and pressures in the proper range. If your cam is that radical then maybe you should convert to a manual trans.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 6:11pm
George W, any chance you could post a picture of what's in the AMC shift and/or the instructions for installing it?

The 11B has a few other improvements like the 2 bolt front band servo, so perhaps I should be re-instating the original valve body. Mine would certainly benefit from firmer shifts as it's a bit of a slug on the gear changes at the moment. I have ridden in somebody else's 71 Javelin and it certainly shifted a lot harder than mine, he mentioned that it had some sort of shift kit in it but didn't have any details.

I've actually been looking at the FMX shift kits, I know the valve body is different, but maybe there are still enough similarities that some of the bits would still be usable.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 7:56pm
What does your valve body resemble? The caked and intrusive unsquare shape that plagues every Borg Warner automatic or is it more like my FMX

I get the feeling you'll know when you see it. Embarrassed

Maybe it's just easier to bolt up an FMX and be done with it. 1-2 upshift is hard and strong, 2-3 upshift is soft, 3-2 downshift is fair but good, 2-1 downshift is slow and soft. Engine braking may become a usual thing with the full manual conversion.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 8:12pm
Yep, looks like this:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic