TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

m12 shift kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 8:50am
I'd be interested in that kit. My amx shifts ok in drive except fairly early up shifts. In manual mode, 1-2 is right now but 2-3 takes forever. I pulled the valves and polished them and cleaned out the bores. I never was quite sure if the springs were in the right location. I also adjusted pressure as shown in the tsm. As I recall some are similar and I couldn't tell from the tsm exactly what goes where. I think this trans has been rebuilt and I wonder if a check ball was left out somewhere or if those springs are in the right spot or maybe weak. Any pointers are welcome.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 9:42pm
Let's assume that you reassembled the valve body correctly. If the transmission seems to upshift too early then the thing to do is to start increasing the pressure by cranking in the set screw in the vacuum modulator a few turns at a time. This does two things. First it raises the shift points and second it increases the line pressure for firmer shifts. Stop when you reach the shift points you're comfortable with. If you go too far the trans. will either shift up way late or not at all. The adjustment screw is not completely linear. It takes more turns initially to move the shift point up and as you raise the pressure further the adjustment becomes more sensitive. The 2-1 closed throttle coast down downshift point will also get raised so you'll find that it will somewhat noticeable when it occurs.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2014 at 11:06pm
Take weight off the governor fly weight with a grinder. This will help raise the shift points also. Make sure you have the correct manual valve with the extra blocking ring on the shuttle. Thhe one from column shifted cars will eventually upshift no matter where you have the shifter but the floor shift valve will hold first and second as long as you do or the engine blows.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

tumbleweed View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 8:44am
I want a shift kit.hopfully it gets reproduced like the str-11          put me down for one
Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 9:04am
Any thoughts on the lazy 2-3 manual shift? No matter the throttle opening or road speed moving the lever from 2-D results in a shift several seconds after. Curious thing is that the kick down 2-3 shift happens as soon as the pedal is lifted. Part throttle 2-3 in drive seems ok. Actually this is more of my concern than the low shift points.

Edited by Javelin69 - Mar/08/2014 at 9:08am
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 9:27am
I remember a road test of the S/C 360 hornet and the test driver short shifted the 2-3 shift to allow for the delay.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 10:56am
That is normal shifting. You haven't reached the full throttle shift point yet. 1-2 is instant and 2-3 will happen when programmed because you have put It back in normal drive. If you want instant 2-3 at low rpms, you need to modify the valve body to have full manual control and no automatic options. That is NOT a shift kit function with any make of shift kit. A full manual kit is what you want.

If you want to help the trans shift a little before the full throttle downshifted point, you will need to eliminate the downshift input signal to the solenoid. You can just unplug the wire at the trans or pedal or install a disable switch inline.

Edited by 69 ambassador 390 - Mar/08/2014 at 11:02am
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Javelin69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 1:44pm
The lazy shift is at any road speed even over the 2-3 programmed shift and even at light throttle at that speed.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 1:55pm
It's not lazy. You are switching from manual mode to Drive/Auto when you move the shifter to Drive. If it is late or ties up at the 2-3 shift, then you have an issue. May be an accumulator function or leaking check valve or bad seals.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 6:04pm
a reproduction shift kit would be well appreciated and probably popular/sell well. But you should also reproduce a band kit with modern friction material to go with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic