TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

M11 after market floor shifter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M11 after market floor shifter?
    Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 6:15am
I have been looking for an aftermarket shifter for the BW M-11 in my 1969 javelin. I don't seem to be able to find anything that fits the bill right out of the box (or at least I don't know where to look).

Has anyone out there done this with a hurst or B&M?

Suggestions are most welcome
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 3:47pm
My '68 AMX has a BW M12. Seems identical on the outside to the M11 except for a deeper fluid pan. The M12 has FMX innards. So, if I were to install an aftermarket floor shifter I'd consider a Lokar for a 1968 Ford that has a FMX transmission. The engines the FMX came with are 351 Windsors and 351 Clevelands. Also, American Shifters,com has a similar shifter.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 8:28pm
Oh that is awesome. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that it matches up with a Ford box? Did they come from the same OEM?
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 8:49pm
Last question... For the lokar FMX are there any modifications needed to the transmission or cable needed?
Mytcar34 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytcar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 9:04pm
I just installed a hurst pistol grip shifter on my 68 AMX the only problem I had was the cable mount on the transmission had to be modified to fit. I also kept the console works for me.
Mytcar
68 AMX
34 Ford
2004 Mustang Funny Car
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2014 at 9:11pm
Sounds slick. Any pics by chance?

What did you have to modify?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 12:18am
the BW auto's have un-even spacing between detents: P to R is longer than R N D 2 1. that's a PITA for adapting Torqueflite or other shifters. if you make it work R N D 2 1 then it won't go into park right, etc.

i personally never found a floor shifter that works with the borg warners.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 4:36am
Mytcar34, did you have any issues with P-R spacing with the hurst shifter?
Mytcar34 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytcar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 5:54pm
have not had time to check the shift pattern yet still trying to install the new headers. if I run into a problem with gear spacing I will take the shifter apart and modify the detent plate.
Mytcar
68 AMX
34 Ford
2004 Mustang Funny Car
darnelld View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darnelld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2014 at 6:16pm
Oh that's cool...if you do end up modifying would love a write up post. I learn sooooo much on this forum! My javelin is a family treasure that passed to me when my dad passed... It was his first new car in 1969! 50500 original miles!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic